Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete photos from iPhoto trash

I am running iPhoto 9.5.1 on osx 10.9.1...and was wondering if I delete photos from the iPhoto trash, will that delete them from my events events as well or should they already have been deleted from events and photos since they are in the iPhoto trash? Secondly they reason I ask this is because my iMac says start up disk is full and so I am trying to free up some space and heard that many people (including myself as it turns out) are using up unnecessary storage space because photos have not actually been deleted!?

iMac, Mavericks 10.9.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 9:11 PM

3 replies

Feb 11, 2016 10:51 PM in response to electropop

If the photo is in the trash then it can't be in an event as well. That's the point of the trash. However:

because my iMac says start up disk is full and

All bets are off now. Running iPhoto on an overfull disk will lead to a corrupted library. Also, if your HD is full, trashing a few photos, even a few thousand is not going to solve the problem.

OS X needs about 10 gigs of hard drive space for normal OS operations - things like virtual memory, temporary files and so on.

Without this space your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash and the risk of data corruption - that is damage to your files, photos, music - increases exponentially.

Your first priority is to make more space on that HD. Nothing else can be done until you do.

Purchase an external HD and move your Photos and Music to it. Both iPhoto and iTunes can run perfectly well with the Library on an external disk.

Feb 11, 2016 10:55 PM in response to electropop

Yes if you have a default managed library

However if you are getting out of storage message you may have already messed things up due to lack of disk space and deleting photos is not likely to solve teh problem

How much free space do you have on your drive? You need a Min of 10 GB and 20 GB is better - 10% of your disk is best

Probably you need to either get a larger hard drive or move the iPhoto library to an external drive formatted MC OS extended (journaled)

LN

Delete photos from iPhoto trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.