Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi works great for all devices except my MacBook

Hello,

I am typing this message from my iPhone because the wifi on my macbook is too slow to use. I initially thought it was something wrong with the wifi (it is slow sometimes) but after a month or so of not being able to use the internet properly i investigated just to discover that wifi works great for all devices except my macbook. I tested to bring my laptop to the office and to a friend's place and the results were the same - wifi is great on all devices except my laptop.

I read online that this can happen if the memory is full however i have over 100GB of free space. I also read that it could have something to do with the new operating system. I can’t remember when i upgraded and i don’t know exactly when the problems started so i don’t know for sure but the timing of these events is likely to be linked. I tried both Safari and Chrome and it is equally slow.

I read something about clicking on the wifi icon while pressing “alt” to get access to more information about the wifi activity. I have attached the photo of my results however i am not able to understand what it means.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my laptop?

I am getting desperate, i cannot do my work!!

I should also mention that sometimes the wifi works like normal for a few seconds, sometimes up to a few minutes, then it goes back to being ridiculously slow again.

Below are the details for my laptop.

THANKS for any advice!

/Hanna

OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor: 2,8 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

Flash Storage: 119GB available out of 499GB

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:06 PM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2016 9:50 AM in response to Hanna_

If Wi-Fi is slow on all networks, you most likely have a detached antenna cable or some other internal hardware fault.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Feb 12, 2016 11:11 AM in response to Hanna_

Hi Hanna:

Just wondering if your problems could be caused by some software you are running.

Are you running any AntiVirus by chance.

Also if you could download EtreCheck http://etrecheck.com/ and post the results here, maybe it would provide some clues.

Also another thing you can try is:

Open System preferences > Network

Then click on Advanced.

User uploaded file

Then select your unused networks and press "-" to delete them.

Sometimes all these unused networks can lead to confussion.

Wifi works great for all devices except my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.