Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod nano 4th generation click wheel does not work. Can it be fixed?

The iPod will turn on after being charged or by taking it off hold. I can feel the buttons press on the click wheel but nothing happens when I press them. I tried restoring the iPod. I also looked online to see how much buying a new iPod would cost, but none are compatible with Windows Vista. What are my options?

iPod nano, Windows Vista

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:46 PM

1 reply

Feb 12, 2016 12:57 AM in response to KGFan

Did you try doing a Reset (restart) on the iPod

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

and if that does not help, a Restore using iTunes. The Restore erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings. If the iPod still appears in iTunes when connected, the Restore button is on the iPod's Summary settings screen.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If that does not help, because the iPod has a hardware problem that prevents the click wheel from working, and you want to replace it... Your options:

- Upgrade Windows to 7 or later.

- Get a (new or recent) Mac.

- Buy an older iPod. For example, the 2012 version of the 7th gen iPod nano is functionally the same as the 2015 version (mostly new color choices), but the older version supports back to Windows XP (SP3) and Vista. This web page provides details for all iPods

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/index-ipod-specs.html

My iPod nano 4th generation click wheel does not work. Can it be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.