Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folders converted into exec files

Good evening, I have a memory stick with format MS-DOS (FAT32) where I usually put documents created in my computer (mac, OS X El Capitan) to print afterwards at my job. I printed a couple of documents today from a Windows computer and when I came back home and connected the memory stick in my mac half of the folders were converted into EXEC files.

I've read all the related threads and I can't find any solution to recover the folders. There's no virus in the memory stick, there's no hidden folders/files and I don't have a backup of some documents I created this week (the ones I need) since I make a copy once a week.

Thank you very much and I hope somebody can help. I include a screenshot of the info of one of the folders as example.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 11:31 PM

4 replies

Feb 13, 2016 3:47 PM in response to MuzzyG

I think you should try a full byte by byte backup. See carbon copy cloner.

With the copy try running some data recovery software. Something specializing in fat recovery. I suspect the data is there, but the filesystem entry for the directory go messed up.

In the future, try exFat.

These terminal commands will give you a hint on byte by byte copy too.

dd if=/dev/disk0s10 bs=4096 | gzip | dd of=~/disk0-s10 bs=4096
dd if=~/disk0-s10 bs=4096 | gunzip | dd of=/dev/disk0s10 bs=4096

Feb 13, 2016 3:53 PM in response to rccharles

Thank you very much rccharles!

I managed to get back the data, as you said they were still there. I used a data recovery software called "Do your data recovery" (as daft as it sounds) which allows you to recover up to 1GB for free (I actually used a few but all of them were trials and I just could see the files but not recover them).

So problem solved!

Thanks again 🙂

Folders converted into exec files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.