Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't Apple allow an iPhone to do WiFi scanning?

About 4 years ago Apple pulled all the apps that allowed an iPhone to scan for WiFi networks. Why? (There was something about developers using "private APIs".)

There are a number of scanning tools available for Macs. I have helped a coffee shop owner sort out his WiFi (he had both an old, disconnected, and a new WiFi router active, and had the same channels as the business next door), and used my Mac scanner to try to optimize my home network. But I still have weak coverage in some corners of the house. An iPhone would be a perfect device for figuring out interference and dead spots, because it's a lot more portable than my laptop. But Apple won't allow this use.

Why won't Apple allow this very practical use of an iPhone? I just read about a hack that allows it to show the strength of a cellular signal in detail. But you can't do this for WiFi. This does not make sense to me. Apple could make this work if it wanted to.

Thanks for any thoughts.

- Winston

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 1:59 AM

20 replies

Feb 12, 2016 7:03 AM in response to anypats

Thank you, but that is not a very helpful response. A helpful response might be something like: "The iPhone's WiFi is integrated into the phone in such a way that using it as a scanner compromises the security of iOS." (I made that up as an example.) It is possible that someone on the forum, other than you, knows why Apple has chosen to block WiFi scanning apps. If so, I'd like to know the reason.

I have seen similar answers about how the OS works on the OS X forum, so it's not so wild to think someone might have some info on iOS. If no one does, then no one does, but I won't find that out by not asking.

And I've already sent feedback to Apple. My question here is exactly because Apple does not answer such questions itself.

Best,

- Winston

Feb 12, 2016 7:33 AM in response to KiltedTim

That is a more helpful answer. Thank you. However, I think my question might still be valid. Apple's terms say:

"Submissions

Stay on topic. Apple Support Communities is here to help people use Apple products and technologies more effectively. Unless otherwise noted, do not add Submissions about nontechnical topics, including:

1. Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
  2. Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions.

. . .

Post constructive comments and questions. Unless otherwise noted, your Submission should either be a technical support question or a technical support answer. Constructive feedback about product features is welcome as well."

(note: the forum software auto corrected the numbering above - the "Post constructive comments . . . " should be item 3, but I couldn't figure out out to fix it.)

If it is not appropriate to ask why Apple does not allow WiFi scanners on iPhones as a matter of policy, it IS appropriate to ask if there is a technical reason why it's not allowed. I also consider this under "constructive comments and questions", as having WiFi scanning ability would help many people.

I also note that the Apple Terms state that Apple may monitor these fora, and Apple employees may answer some questions.

So I think my question stands.

Best,

- Winston

Feb 12, 2016 7:46 AM in response to WinstonE

WinstonE wrote:

I also note that the Apple Terms state that Apple may monitor these fora, and Apple employees may answer some questions.

Generally, Apple employees' answering of questions is restricted to a specific subset of questions (generally answerable by a referral to a knowledge base article) that have gone unanswered for at least 24 hours. I doubt this type of question would ever have made that list.

As for monitoring, members who are level 2 or higher can report posts to the Hosts for evaluation. The Hosts themselves don't have time to monitor every post.

Feb 12, 2016 7:51 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks. I've never posted on the Developer Forums, but it makes sense that that might be a good place to ask a more technical question. I'll take a look at it. (In the Mac OS forum there are folk who know an awful lot of very technical stuff. But I also realize that iOS is much more closed, so users may know less about it.)

Best,

- Winston

Feb 12, 2016 8:01 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

When I mentioned "monitoring" by Apple, I meant as in read or review, not police. Apple's terms say that they will sometimes respond, which means they sometimes read posts, and they also have a provision that allows them to use suggestions without paying a royalty, which also implies they "monitor" what's in the forum.

This was in response to anypats saying "This forum is simply a user-to-user forum to help with technical problems. Apple does not monitor these boards . . .". which appears to be an inaccurate statement based on the Terms of Use.

Thanks.

- Winston

Feb 12, 2016 8:00 AM in response to WinstonE

WinstonE wrote:

When I mentioned "monitoring" by Apple, I meant as in read or review, not police. Apple's terms say that they will sometimes respond, which means they sometimes read posts, and they also have a provision that allows them to use suggestions without paying a royalty, which also implies they "monitor" what's in the forum.

Again, your question wouldn't have fallen into the category that gets answered by Apple employees.

Feb 12, 2016 2:02 PM in response to WinstonE

Another reason my question about WiFi scanning in iOS is relevant: I just found out that Apple built a WiFi scanner into the last two or three versions of Mac OS X, accessible by holding the Option key while clicking on the WiFi icon.

So someone at Apple thinks it's a useful feature. Now if the Mac OS X team would just talk to the iOS team maybe we could get a similar feature in iOS . . .

I did get one response on the Developer Forum, that said that creating a WiFi scanner required a deeper connection into iOS than Apple normally allows. The explanation did not cover why that deeper connection could be a problem.

Good luck.

- Winston

Why doesn't Apple allow an iPhone to do WiFi scanning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.