Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with clean installing Mavericks onto a Mac Pro from USB

So I recently purchased a late 07 Mac Pro that has been upgraded/formatted and doesn't have any sort of OS X on it, however the seller told me he installed Mavericks to test it and it functioned great, then removed it for the sale.

I also purchased a bootable USB drive that Mavericks on it.
I've followed all the tutorials to install, holding down C/Options when turning on the Mac, but when holding down Options I get a blank screen with nothing but a cursor, and holding down C gives me a blank screen with a flashing icon of a Folder and question mark. I've looked into this and it's literally that the Mac can't find the OS X files, so what am I supposed to do?
I've tried each USB slot and the result is the same.

Any help is greatly appreciated because at the minute all I have is a very expensive door stop.

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 4:55 AM

1 reply

Feb 12, 2016 6:34 AM in response to Blakemoon

Holding the C key was/is the command to boot to a CD or DVD. What the seller was supposed to do is put the original OS back on the Mac before selling it, not leave it blank (how are you supposed to know it's actually functional when it arrives)? Like a lot of folks though, he probably tossed or lost the gray, machine specific disks long ago.

Here's another issue. Where did you get Mavericks from? Without waiting for an answer, just by the fact that you paid for it, I can tell you already it's an illegal copy. Mavericks was free when it was available, and was only available from Apple. Anything else is a risk to use since you have no way of knowing what else may be on that USB stick. That is, the installer may have been modified to also install a keylogger or other nasty malware along with the OS.

But to at least get it running, plug in the USB drive and start the Mac up. Immediately hold the Option key. If the USB stick was properly made, it will show up as a device you can boot to. Choose it to startup the Mac to and install OS X.

Edit: Also just occurred to me. Mavericks will not run on a 2007 Mac Pro. The newest version of OS X that will run on that model is Lion, 10.7.x. To get anywhere, you're going to have to contact Apple. Tell them you need a copy of the original gray disks that Mac came with. They'll ask for the serial number to ensure you get the correct disks. Once they arrive, you can install OS X. I think what you will get is Tiger, 10.4.x.

Or, you can skip the older versions of OS X and actually spend less by purchasing Snow Leopard from Apple for $20. Install that, which will be 10.6.3. Then apply the free 10.6.8 Combo Updater. Once that's installed, you'll have the App Store on your Mac. You can then create your own App Store account and purchase Lion, 10.7.x. That's as far as you're going to be able to go with that Mac.

Issues with clean installing Mavericks onto a Mac Pro from USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.