Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie crashed whilst trying to share a movie to theatre

IMovie crashed whilst trying to share a movie to Theatre.

On restart it crashes again, a background task appears to be trying to re-share the movie.

How do I recover the movie in order to share it to file and to theatre?

How do I stop the background task so that I can use iMovie?

iMovie 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 12:08 PM

Hello chattychatty,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that iMovie will quit whenever you launch the application after trying to share to the Theater. To get started with troubleshooting this issue where iMovie is unable to open, I'd like you to please create a new iMovie Library, and see if iMovie opens with that new library:

Create a new library

1. Choose File > Open Library > New.

2. In the Save dialog that appears, type a name for the new library, and navigate to the location where you want to save it.

The default location is the Movies folder in your home folder.

3. Click Save.

A new library is created in the location you chose, and a new, empty event with today’s date is created.

iMovie (2013): Work with multiple libraries

If iMovie does open in the new library, then we know there's an issue with your existing library. The good news is that your information is not lost, since you are able to move your projects and media:

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or hard disks

1. Connect a hard disk that contains the target library to your computer, or copy the target library to your computer.

2. Choose File > Open Library, and choose an option from the submenu.

You can choose from recently opened libraries at the top of the submenu, locate an existing library on your computer, or create a new library.

3. The selected library is opened in the Libraries list, with the first event selected and its contents displayed in the browser.

4. In the Libraries list, select the event that contains the item you want to move or copy.

5. In the browser, select the item you want to move or copy.

Note: To select multiple items, hold down the Command key as you click the items you want to select, or drag a selection rectangle around the items.

6. Do one of the following:

• To move items between events or libraries: Drag the clip or project to another event or library.

• To copy items between events or libraries: Option-drag the clip or project to another event or library by first starting to drag and then holding down the Option key as you drag.

Please report back with your findings!

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 12:08 PM in response to chattychatty

Hello chattychatty,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that iMovie will quit whenever you launch the application after trying to share to the Theater. To get started with troubleshooting this issue where iMovie is unable to open, I'd like you to please create a new iMovie Library, and see if iMovie opens with that new library:

Create a new library

1. Choose File > Open Library > New.

2. In the Save dialog that appears, type a name for the new library, and navigate to the location where you want to save it.

The default location is the Movies folder in your home folder.

3. Click Save.

A new library is created in the location you chose, and a new, empty event with today’s date is created.

iMovie (2013): Work with multiple libraries

If iMovie does open in the new library, then we know there's an issue with your existing library. The good news is that your information is not lost, since you are able to move your projects and media:

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or hard disks

1. Connect a hard disk that contains the target library to your computer, or copy the target library to your computer.

2. Choose File > Open Library, and choose an option from the submenu.

You can choose from recently opened libraries at the top of the submenu, locate an existing library on your computer, or create a new library.

3. The selected library is opened in the Libraries list, with the first event selected and its contents displayed in the browser.

4. In the Libraries list, select the event that contains the item you want to move or copy.

5. In the browser, select the item you want to move or copy.

Note: To select multiple items, hold down the Command key as you click the items you want to select, or drag a selection rectangle around the items.

6. Do one of the following:

• To move items between events or libraries: Drag the clip or project to another event or library.

• To copy items between events or libraries: Option-drag the clip or project to another event or library by first starting to drag and then holding down the Option key as you drag.

Please report back with your findings!

Take care.

Feb 13, 2016 12:14 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Very grateful Alex and thank you.

In fact I have solved the problem the hard way and with Apple online and telephone support help.

First of all the major problem of not being able to get iMovie to stay up was solved by deleting then re-loading the application itself.

That done, I tracked how far the share to file had got before it crashed - some 30 minutes into the movie (it is a long one). I deleted various clips around that time to no avail but eventually, by trial and error, I found the thing that was causing the problem was in fact one of the transitions between clips. That deleted and all the deleted clips put back I tested it and found I can now share.

So all solved.

Thanks again.

IMovie crashed whilst trying to share a movie to theatre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.