Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new iPad mini keeps dropping WiFi

I have a new iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display, which is an Apple replacement for a 1 year old model supplied under warranty.

Where my old iPad worked perfectly (running iOS 8.1) the new one keeps dropping the WiFi connection. It can lose all connection while I’m using Safari (for example) and by time I get to Settings, be back showing 3 bars. Equally, it can show 3 bars for a while, apparently looking strong and healthy, then fluctuate between 3 > 1 bars and subsequently lose all capability to connect - showing ‘Cannot scan for wireless networks’. It makes no difference how close I am to the router. Even standing over the router, the WiFi is on, off, or fluctuating. Currently it’s unusable for anything requiring web access.

I have tried the following:

1. restarting the iPad

2. rebooting the router

3. a hard reset

4. 'forgetting' the network - then putting the details back in again

5. 'resetting the network settings'

6. turning off 'Ask to join networks'

None of these has worked. In fact, ‘Resetting the network settings’ resulted in the screen instantly going black (the iPad appeared to be instantly powered off), it could not be restarted with the power button, and was no longer recognised by iTunes. To all intents and purposes it looked like a dead device. For 10 minutes it was unresponsive, then I walked past it and noticed that it was on again and apparently working normally. Except, that the WiFi was no better.

It’s running 9.2.1.

Anyone with the same or similar experience? Or even better, ideas on what’s wrong and how to fix it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 3:33 AM

2 replies

Feb 14, 2016 10:14 AM in response to citroenDS

I've now tried turning on the 'Broadcast SSID' setting on the router (I had it turned off, to improve security, but Apple recommends keeping it on in their support pages on optimising WiFi ). That seemed, possibly, to produce a small improvement - but no big difference. It's still unreliable. Would really like to find a way to fix it.

Anyone else having similar problems with WiFi and 9.2.1? Anyone fixed it?

Feb 25, 2016 12:20 PM in response to citroenDS

I posted this a couple of weeks ago, and unfortunately the WiFi reception is as bad as ever.

I don't know whether the hardware is at fault in this replacement iPad, or whether it's the iOS.

Using 'WiFi Signal' (the OSX app by Adrian Granados) on my MBP, the signal quality shows up as 91% and is rated as 'excellent'. The network speed is 66mbps. Everything is fast and reliable on other Macs, another iPad (running iOS8.3) and on an iPhone 6. Only my 'new' replacement iPad Mini can't maintain a connection. It's unusable.

Please - if you have had a similar experience, do leave some feedback. I think I've tried all the ways I can think of to resolve it, without any success. Any ideas?

new iPad mini keeps dropping WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.