Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not open my safari preferences. If I select it, the webpage slides to the right and nothing appears. The only thing I have changed recently is switching to Duckduckgo as a search engine

I can not open my safari preferences. If I select it, the webpage slides to the right and nothing appears. The only thing I have changed recently is switching to Duckduckgo as a search engine

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), version 10.11.2

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 3:37 AM

6 replies

Feb 12, 2016 4:01 AM in response to Jack 3636

If you have problems opening webpages, take a look at these troubleshooting techniques suggested by Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204098

Go to Safari menu (At the very top right side of your screen next to Apple icon), choose "Quit Safari"

press "Shift" button and while holding this button on your keyboard single click on the Safari icon on your Dock.

Open Safari - Preferences - Privacy - Remove All Website Data.

Open the Go menu with Option (Alt) key pressed - Library - locate Safari folder and move it to your desktop. Restart your Mac, open Safari and delete the folder from your desktop.

Feb 12, 2016 4:19 AM in response to Jack 3636

Jack 3636 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say when you try to open Safari Preferences, the webpage slides to the right. Are you going to Safari --> Preferences? Altering them doesn't require using a webpage, the Preferences pane should come up in its own neat little box.

User uploaded file

Feb 12, 2016 1:26 PM in response to Jack 3636

1. If an external display is connected and turned off, either turn it on or disconnect it. If a display adapter is connected but not in use, disconnect that.

2. Open Mission Control. Close all desktops except Desktop 1 by positioning the cursor over each one and then clicking the X button in the top left corner. In Desktop 1, move the missing window, if need be, so that it won't be hidden behind the Dock.

3. Open the Displays pane in System Preferences. If there is an Arrangement tab, select it and then uncheck the box marked

Mirror Displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.