Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Studio 3.0 sudden and big problem

Hi everyone. I have been using my Final Cut Studio 3.0 happily since I bought it new in January 2010. BUT... a few days ago I had a Protection Error message ('This application cannot continue because another application with an identical serial number is already running on another computer on your network'.) so can't use the software. It is installed on my iMac at home (also bought in 2010) and not on any other device in the house. This is the first time I've had this error in my six years of using my FCS suite (mainly FCP 7 and Soundtrack Pro 3). If I disconnect my ethernet/wifi, I can use it ok but this is not ideal. I have tried reboots, preference wipe, switching off all other devices in the house to no avail. I have sent proof of ownership including photos, receipt, order number etc to Apple Support but they say they no longer support FCP7 and can't help me further. I am worried my serial number has been hijacked somehow? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 5:49 AM

8 replies

Feb 12, 2016 7:23 AM in response to Emma FCP Editor

If FCS Remover can't see your editing computer it's not going to uninstall anything on it. I'm not sure what's causing your error messages, which is why I suggested that you isolate the two devices.

BTW, are you running Snow Leopard on both machines, as your signature indicates? And what is the other Mac – the one you edit with?

Russ

edit: I'm obviously confused about which of your Macs has Final Cut installed on it. My thought was to ruin FCS Remover first on the Mac that does NOT have FCP installed on it.

edit2: Do you still have the physical install disks or a disk image of them?

Feb 13, 2016 8:52 AM in response to Emma FCP Editor

It's not on you; I should have read more carefully. I had jumped to the conclusion that there was another installation on another Mac, because the application won't allow multiple Macs on the same network to run FCP at the same time.

Short of reinstalling FCS. I'm not sure what to say. Perhaps download Preference Manager and delete the preference. But I'm just guessing and it's a long shot.

A web search doesn't give any clues about alternatives to a reinstall (and I'm not even positive that will cure the issue). This is a typical example.

Perhaps someone else has experienced something similar and will chime in.

Good luck.

Russ

Final Cut Studio 3.0 sudden and big problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.