Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Spanish language with external US keyboard

I have to write three different languages when I use my iPad - English, Portuguese and Spanish. I work well with the software keyboard but I can't use an external keyboard (regular English Apple Bluetooth keyboard) with Spanish. I explain:

• When I type in Portuguese, I go to iOS setting and configure the external keyboard layout to US-International and I use this keyboard as if I was typing on a Mac.
  • When I grow in Spanish, however, iOS doesn't allow me to choose US-International and, consequently, because the keyboard has an English layout, I can't type accents correctly. The solution is simple: To make US-International available when Spanish language is selected.

Is there a way to do it?

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 6:19 AM

2 replies

Sep 9, 2017 7:24 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for the answer, but some of us have gotten very used to typing on the US International keyboard layout, with quick access to accents and other special characters. So, the option codes would require retraining fingers to hit those option characters at the same speed as the standard US International layout.

I'll send feedback to Apple as you suggest.

Using Spanish language with external US keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.