Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Time Capsule for backup but not wifi

I have recently changed out Time Capsule as my primary wireless router due to a bunch of other problems I don't want to go into here. I am so far completely unsuccessful in reconnecting the macbook time machine clients to their backups on the time capsule.

Is there a way to continue to use the time capsule as a backup device on the network, if it is no longer the wifi access point?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 8:07 AM

5 replies

Feb 12, 2016 9:27 AM in response to Bill Barnett

Is there a way to continue to use the time capsule as a backup device on the network, if it is no longer the wifi access point?

Unfortunately, not in any way that is officially supported by Apple......unless you are connecting the Macs to the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet cable connection, and the Time Capsule is set up correctly, of course.

Not really recommending that you do this, but I suppose that you could try setting up the Time Capsule in a way that is not officially supported.....to see if things will work.....but we cannot say how well.....or even if....this will work.

There is also a possibility that the forum moderators might edit out instructions that are not officially supported by Apple, so that is another potential issue as well.

Use Time Capsule for backup but not wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.