Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Mac Pro monitors now that some time has passed

Hey all

Well i bit the bullet and ordered my mac pro. Im not sure what i was thinking but we shall see!!

The best one i could afford is a 6 core with 32gig of ram and a 1TB PCIE Internal SSD

it was still $6k with tax. Im a total apple fan boy but even i think that was a bit insane.

So now I'm ion the hunt for 2 4k monitors or perhaps 1 30 something inch curve screen.

I know there are lots of threads on this but many of them are old. Now that people have had some time for the 4k monitor market to catch up i was curious if there are some good recommendations out there on what to buy. I need to keep cost way done. Im poor from the purchase.

I don't want to fuss with drivers and other problems so other then the ancient apple cinema display can anyone tell me what my plug and play options are?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 8:16 AM

7 replies

Feb 12, 2016 10:52 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the input grant

I hope i don't end up hating myself for buying this thing.

Other then 4k can you make some recommendations on some middle of the road monitors that i could try without spending to much?

Also i noticed there are hardly any thunderbolt monitors except for the apple one. Should i be looking for HDMI then? I want to make sure i can take advantage of the nice graphics cards i paid for

May 13, 2016 1:38 AM in response to rscott126

First of all, congrats! I also just purchased a Mac Pro yesterday for professional photo/video editing. I'm also in the same boat looking for the "best" 4k display for my needs. I personally came across the LG 31MU97 and the Samsung U32D970Q. Ultimately, what I'm looking for is a quality build, fantastic resolution, and color accuracy. I'm leaning more towards the Samsung at this point, but still looking to see what else is out there.

May 13, 2016 2:06 AM in response to rscott126

rscott126 wrote:

Thanks for the input grant

I hope i don't end up hating myself for buying this thing.

Other then 4k can you make some recommendations on some middle of the road monitors that i could try without spending to much?

Also i noticed there are hardly any thunderbolt monitors except for the apple one. Should i be looking for HDMI then? I want to make sure i can take advantage of the nice graphics cards i paid for

No Mac so far made has HDMI 2.0, the best they have is HDMI 1.4a and this includes the 'new' Mac Pro.

The problem with HDMI 1.4a is that it can only do 4K at a maximum of 30fps and this is considered for general use. (It can be acceptable for playing movies.) I would therefore suggest you concentrate on looking at Displayport compatible monitors. You would need HDMI 2.0 for 4K at 60fps but as I said no Mac Pro supports this. There is the possibility of getting a Mini Displayport to HDMI 2.0 adapter such as this http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12- to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

With regards to 4K Displayport compatible monitors as Grant Bennet-Alder said there is no clear leader but I personally regard Dell monitors as a good choice. Dell have both a 24" 4K monitor and 27" 4K monitor. See http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~topic=ultrahd _monitor

You could also hypothetically chose the Dell 5K monitor, this will also work on your Mac Pro.

Regarding Thunderbolt monitors, allegedly LG do one, it might even be an ultra-wide screen model, however in your situation I see no advantage to specifically getting a Thunderbolt monitor. It maybe that if/when the next generation Mac Pro comes out then at that point a matching new Thunderbolt monitor would be a better choice but for your current Mac Pro I see no advantage.

Best Mac Pro monitors now that some time has passed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.