Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes sync madness

When I drag a newly created playlist to my phone, I get BOTH of these dialogs back to back -- first:

Some of the items in the iTunes library, including <song>, were not copied to the iphone "<iphone>" because Apple Music songs cannot be copied to an iPhone. To play Apple Music songs on your iPhone, turn on iCloud Music Library on your iPhone.

And then:

Some of the files were not copied to the iPhone "<iphone>" because iCloud Music Library is enabled on this iPhone.

Now that I have Apple Music, what do I need to do to play songs on my iPhone (and ultimately Apple Watch)? iCloud Music Library is indeed on, but I've tried this with it turned off too.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iPhone 6s

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 8:52 PM

If you enable iCloud Music Library on both your iPhone and your Mac then anything you have in your "My Music" collection should be visible from both devices for streaming. All of your saved playlists would also be visible on both devices. With Apple Music and ICML there is no syncing to be done between devices as the basic premise is that your entire collection is in the cloud and available everywhere.

If you want to download songs for offline listening then you do that on each device separately. You can do this via individual songs, full albums or entire playlists.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 8:52 PM in response to lcampise

If you enable iCloud Music Library on both your iPhone and your Mac then anything you have in your "My Music" collection should be visible from both devices for streaming. All of your saved playlists would also be visible on both devices. With Apple Music and ICML there is no syncing to be done between devices as the basic premise is that your entire collection is in the cloud and available everywhere.

If you want to download songs for offline listening then you do that on each device separately. You can do this via individual songs, full albums or entire playlists.

Feb 15, 2016 3:06 PM in response to morrispe

Thanks for the info. A lot seems broken on my devices. Not only am I not able to create a playlist (especially one containing Apple Music) on itunes and see it on my phone with its songs. But i'm unable to create an playlist on my phone with Apple Music at all. When i hit Done, the Music app freezes, every time.

And half the time in itunes, all of my Apple Music songs are missing from playlists. And if I sign out of the store, and back in, then after about 15 minutes of sync'ing, they will appear again for a while.

I have a genius bar appt tomorrow. thanks again for the info.

iTunes sync madness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.