Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Time Capsule Wi-Fi trying to extend range with Airport Express

I had a working Wi-Fi network in my home provided by a Time Capsule and a cable modem with Charter internet. In some parts of the house the signal was somewhat weak and I thought I'd add an Airport Express to extend the useful range. Using Airport Utility after plugging in the Airport Express unit I attempted to follow instructions but after attempting a number of confounding steps have ended up with an inoperative Wi-Fi network. Airport Utility shows both the Internet Globe and the Time Capsule with green lights, and since my desktop iMac is close enough to have an ethernet connection to the Time Capsule, I have wired internet but cannot connect the iMac via Wi-Fi. Another desktop, an iPad and my iPhone are also unable to access Wi-Fi - as is my Nest thermostat which still provides heat but not connectivity - important as the daytime temperature is heading to single digits here in Massachusetts. Neither the Airport Express instructions, the Time Capsule Setup Guide, the Apple Support"s page on Extending Wi-Fi range nor the Airport Utility itself have helped me. I sense a simple solution lives out there in this helpful forum and hope someone can point me in the direction of it. Thanks -

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 7:23 AM

6 replies

Feb 12, 2016 7:44 AM in response to ROBERT MORAN2

Get the Time Capsule network working again first, then we'll set up the AirPort Express. Leave the AirPort Express powered off for now.

Power cycle the entire network.

That would mean powering off all network devices......modem, computers, mobile devices, accessories etc.....in any order that you want.

Wait a minute, then start the modem and let it run a few minutes.

Start the next device connected to the modem, and let it run a full minute.

Keep starting devices one at a time, about a minute apart, until the entire network is back up.

Check the network to see if everything is working correctly.

Post back on your results.

Feb 12, 2016 7:51 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks. Before I do as you suggest, you should know that in trying to setup the Airport Express I may have altered the naming of the network amongst other things. In addition, there was a moment in the process when the Airport Express was identified as the Base station not the Time Capsule as it is now. The Airport Express is unplugged and I'll await your response to this before shutting everything else down. Thanks again.

Feb 12, 2016 8:40 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Well I went ahead and did as you suggested. Shut everything down and started with cable modem followed by Time Capsule and then iMac. Still no We-Fi available. I'm writing you with an ethernet connection from the iMac to the Time Capsule. Status is exactly as before. Airport Utility shows both green lights for Internet and Time Capsule. Note my previous reply of my messing with AirportUtility when trying to extend range with AirPort Express. thanks -

Feb 12, 2016 9:05 AM in response to ROBERT MORAN2

Hmmm. Unless you changed some of the settings for the Time Capsule in AirPort Utility, the wireless on that device would not be affected by setup attempts for another device like the AirPort Express. And, adding an AirPort Express would not involve changing any settings on the Time Capsule in AirPort Utility at all, so it's tough to know what you might have done.

If you open AirPort Utility, click on the picture of the Time Capsule, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears.....if it appears....are you able to see tabs for settings at the top of the next window? Base Station, Internet, Wireless, Network, Disks?

Feb 12, 2016 10:11 AM in response to Bob Timmons

It took the Aplle tech and I over an hour to fix this. It involved a complete reset of the Time Capsule and resetting the Airport Express as well. The solution required a number of work a rounds including relocating the Airport Express. My thanks again for your interest and help. I would have gladly stayed with you to solve the problem had I not, somewhat unexpectedly, found such a competent and patient Apple support person.

Lost Time Capsule Wi-Fi trying to extend range with Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.