Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to resize external monitor?

I have a 32in 1080p Samsung TV that I am using as a monitor for my macbook pro. I have it connected via HDMI because VGA input on the TV is not supported. I have an issue where everything on my monitor is zoomed. That is, under the Arrangement tab in the Display menu in System Preferences the secondary monitor appears to be almost as small as my macbook screen when it should be about four times the size. I have used the 'Detect Displays' option and the Samsung display and resolution (1080p) is detected alright, just the size of the screen is way off. Any advice would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2018 5:18 PM

Norman123123 wrote:

I have the same problem, and when I select the resolution for the secondary screen I can choose to scale, 1080p, 1080i and 720. The thing is that none of those really solves the problem and the one that's closest (1080p) still misses about an inch of the screen. to the sides and about a quarter from the top and bottom. Is there a way to have the second screen fit perfectly ?

Your TV has overscan, where the edges of the picture are cut off so everything looks a bit bigger. Look in the TV's settings for size adjustments. Look for something like 100%, pixel-to-pixel, fit-to-screen...

If you can't fix it in the TV, look in the Mac's Display system preference for Underscan settings.

It's best to fix it in the TV if possible, to get the sharpest picture.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2018 5:18 PM in response to Norman123123

Norman123123 wrote:

I have the same problem, and when I select the resolution for the secondary screen I can choose to scale, 1080p, 1080i and 720. The thing is that none of those really solves the problem and the one that's closest (1080p) still misses about an inch of the screen. to the sides and about a quarter from the top and bottom. Is there a way to have the second screen fit perfectly ?

Your TV has overscan, where the edges of the picture are cut off so everything looks a bit bigger. Look in the TV's settings for size adjustments. Look for something like 100%, pixel-to-pixel, fit-to-screen...

If you can't fix it in the TV, look in the Mac's Display system preference for Underscan settings.

It's best to fix it in the TV if possible, to get the sharpest picture.

Dec 2, 2017 11:12 AM in response to jeremy_v

Feb 13, 2016 4:48 PM in response to saf3tyboat

Hi saf3tyboat,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

It seems like your 32" Samsung TV looks smaller than your MacBook Pro display when you view the Arrangement tab of System Preferences.

Although your TV screen is physically larger than your MacBook Pro screen, the display resolution of the 1080p TV (1920 x 1080) is lower than the native (or maximum) resolution of a Retina MacBook Pro display. This might be give the appearance that the TV is smaller than it should be in System Preferences.

You can more information about Retina display resolution in Using a Retina display. This article also has some useful information for configuring your TV and MacBook Pro resolutions for best use. For example, make sure you're using Extended Desktop mode to set the resolution individually for each display:

Using an external display with your Retina display Mac

If your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or iMac has a Retina display, it automatically optimizes the resolution for the internal Retina display and any external displays that you attach. You can adjust resolutions for displays by choosing System Preferences from the Apple menu and then clicking Displays.

If you have Mirror Displays enabled (under the Arrangement tab in Displays System Preferences), you'll see an "Optimize for" pop-up menu in the Display tab on both internal and external displays. This allows you to optimize for the internal or external display, or even scale the content on both.

If Mirror Displays isn't enabled, then you're using Extended Desktop mode. In this case, you can set resolutions individually for each display. Check the Display System Preferences window that has the description for the display you want to adjust on the top of the window (there will be a unique preferences window for each display). Adjust as necessary.
User uploaded file

Let us know if this information helped and you were able to configure your displays using the steps above.

Best Regards.

How to resize external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.