Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overnight error with Wi-Fi: "no hardware installed"

Hi there,

I'm writing for a very painful issue occurred a few days ago (8 Feb). I resumed my Mac, a Mac Book Pro 13" (late 2011) and I found the wi-fi completely off, with an alarming "no hardware installed" error. Here a screenshot:
User uploaded file

Ethernet is working fine (fortunately).

At first I re-installed OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), without wiping the hard disk. Nothing changed.

Then, I restored the system from my Time Machine from the day before. Again, nothing changed.

I also bought an USB wifi, an Asus USB N10 Nano, but still no sign of life from Wi-Fi.

Here a couple of screenshots from System Information:

Network/Wi-Fi

User uploaded file

Hardware/USB

User uploaded file

I have no idea what to do next, or where to look further.

Any hints?

Thanks a lot!

Nicholas

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 1:58 PM

In some cases, this issue is caused by a hardware fault. A loose connection, a short circuit, or a microscopic break in a solder joint may open and close depending on temperature, making the failure intermittent.

Please test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already taken. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Turn off Bluetooth. If you have a desktop Mac, you'll need a wired keyboard and mouse to take this step. Those are useful to have anyway, because Bluetooth is not completely reliable. If Wi-Fi works with Bluetooth turned off but not when you turn it back on, delete all pairings in the Bluetooth preference pane and recreate them. Restart the computer and test again.

2.. There are a few reports that the problem was solved by unchecking the box marked

Wake for Wi-Fi network access

in the Power Adapter tab of the Energy Saver preference pane. I can't confirm.

3. Reset the NVRAM.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.

5. Start up in Recovery mode. In the menu bar of the OS X Utilities screen, there's a Wi-Fi menu. Try to connect.

6. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

7. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2016 1:58 PM in response to LordGordon

In some cases, this issue is caused by a hardware fault. A loose connection, a short circuit, or a microscopic break in a solder joint may open and close depending on temperature, making the failure intermittent.

Please test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already taken. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Turn off Bluetooth. If you have a desktop Mac, you'll need a wired keyboard and mouse to take this step. Those are useful to have anyway, because Bluetooth is not completely reliable. If Wi-Fi works with Bluetooth turned off but not when you turn it back on, delete all pairings in the Bluetooth preference pane and recreate them. Restart the computer and test again.

2.. There are a few reports that the problem was solved by unchecking the box marked

Wake for Wi-Fi network access

in the Power Adapter tab of the Energy Saver preference pane. I can't confirm.

3. Reset the NVRAM.

4. Reset the System Management Controller.

5. Start up in Recovery mode. In the menu bar of the OS X Utilities screen, there's a Wi-Fi menu. Try to connect.

6. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

7. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Overnight error with Wi-Fi: "no hardware installed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.