Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal (Apple SSD) Hard drive issue

I´m having terrible issues with my mac since I tried to restore the entire mac system from a time machine backup, which ended up showing a "an error occurred while adding a recovery system to the destination disk" message. I restarted and held cmd+R and internet recovery started downloading (instead of recovery partition...). After the download, the menu of os x utilities appeared and I selected Disk Utilities and then I erased the macintosh HD.

Tried to restore from TM again but same problem. I even tried to reinstall os x: after downloading OS X Mavericks, I got "an error occurred while preparing installation".

Here you can see the results of diskutil cs list and diskutil list commands:

User uploaded file

As you can see, I have no corestorage logical volume groups and I don't see the Recovery HD partition in disk0.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks a lot.

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 7:20 AM

27 replies

Feb 12, 2016 7:40 AM in response to RedaApple

Ok so I would do the following before concluding my SSD is failing or failed.

Shutdown.

Unplug all external drives and hubs.

Perform a PRAM reset. Power on while holding Command+Option+P+R and KEEP them pressed until you have heard the boot chime twice then release. The Mac probably won't boot to an OS and you may have to Shutdown again the restart holding Command+Option+R (Internet Recovery).

Launch Disk Utility and select your Macintosh HD. Then do a Verify Disk. If there are any errors, do the Repair Disk. If no errors appear, click the Partitions tab and select the Macintosh HD. Use the Partition Layout dropdown and select 1 partition. Click Apply. This should recreate your partition, erase and format it to Mac OS Extended-Journaled with the GUID Partition Map Table.

Quit Disk Utility and Reinstall OS X which I think you said is Mavericks which came pre-installed. IF.. the install completes, you should have a Mavericks Recovery HD and be presented with the Setup screen. IF... the install throws out an error, can't complete, won't create the Recovery HD, etc. then you may want consider either setup a Genius Bar appointment at a local Apple Store to have them diagnose the drive issue or try Internet Recovery again and install to an external USB drive just to get an OS installed. If the external drive install works with no issues then it's very possible your internal SSD drive has failed and needs to be replace.

Feb 12, 2016 9:05 AM in response to keg55

Hi again, I tried what you told me but instead of reinstalling os x (which would take a while) I tried to restore from timemachine backup but still the same problem "an error occurred while adding a recovery system to the destination disk", so I guess I would have the same issues with the reinstall option... I also checked diskutil cs list and disku list and I still got the same results as shown in the picture attached in the original post.

Feb 12, 2016 9:12 AM in response to RedaApple

Core Storage is the new way forward and only mission critical for using Fusion drives and FireFault2. Other wise no difference really—and still has some notable shortcomings esp in Disk Utility. You can easily convert to CS on the fly using terminal and simple reboot.

Restoring from time machine can loose the CS and leave you with classical.

New install of the OS should restore CS.

http://blog.fosketts.net/2012/10/03/mac-os-corestorage-convert/

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/175781/is-undoing-yosemites-corestorage -conversion-dangerous

https://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/2wzlxc/a_corestorage_primer_aka_why_you_ca nt_manipulate/

Feb 12, 2016 9:30 AM in response to RedaApple

Stop using your Time Machine back up to restore your entire system. It's obviously not working. What you need to do is check the disk using Verify Disk and Repair Disk to repair any errors. Erase and reformat the Macintosh HD. THEN reinstall OS X Mavericks. After you get Mavericks reinstalled then during Setup you can try your Time Machine back up to migrate your user accounts/settings/data and apps using the migration in Setup.

You're not going to know if the reinstall of OS X will work unless you try it. So, you either use Internet Recovery, because your drive is empty, or a USB thumb drive with OS X Mavericks installer (which I doubt you have) to boot from.

Feb 12, 2016 9:40 AM in response to keg55

Hi Kegg55, I checked my disk and the verification ended with no errors found, so no need to repair it. And I did erase and reformat as you told me. So I guess I should rexecute your instructions but this time with reinstalling... I'm trying to download a dmg image of os x el capitan from a windows pc to try to make a bootable usb from the disk utility menu of the internet recovery mode so I won't have to reinstall everytime... Do you think I can do it? Thanks a lot for helping.

Internal (Apple SSD) Hard drive issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.