Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps are not working in flight mode

Dears,

I moved from Android more than a year ago. My first cellphone with Apple was the iphone6, and I was really surprised when I realized how bad behaviour iOS performs when flight mode is activated. you are no longer able to be operative, gmail does not work and whatsapp neither. actually, Whatsapp performance in iOS is awfull, always suffering delays so then with a hectic and caotic end user experience. I used to prepare/write many messages in whatsapp during a flight, so as soon as I land and connect my phone all the messages are automatically sent out. With iOS I dont have this behavior, also to work on mail staff. with Android I can do all these things.

any reason for this? (I know that iOS is not Android, but this is a behaviour highly demanded and useful)

regards,

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 7:40 AM

4 replies

Feb 12, 2016 12:01 PM in response to ignaciocolilles

In Airplane Mode on iOS, these wireless features are turned off:

• Cellular (voice and data)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth

That means you can't use Gmail because there's no data connection. Once you turn on Airplane Mode, you can turn Wi-Fi back on by going to Settings > Wi-Fi.

I don't use Whatsapp, so I can't say if that will work on Airplane Mode or not. Check with Whatsapp support.

Feb 13, 2016 12:52 AM in response to Jay.Arii

Thanks for the response, but restarting the phone will not fix this. As already was mentioned, the apps developers are the ones to make these apps capable to work without data connection( 2G, 3G or WiFi).apps should work, ideally, without any data connection " totally offline" so let users work anytime regardless data connection, but it is not.

Even de cooperation between developers and iOS has been improved, is still not a total partnership and google developers are blocking the full features on iOS.

It is sad that best features from both systems can not work together yet.

Apps are not working in flight mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.