Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library file mystery

Opened iTunes (12.3.2.35) and all my music, 19,000 songs (and all the iTunes other content) was gone. Replaced the iTunes Library file with a previous version and nothing changed. Manually added some music, quit iTunes, reopened iTunes and the songs are gone. Gone through variations on this process for 2 days now and no closer to a solution or an explanation as to this bizarre behavior.

FYI, I keep my iTunes library (and all related files) on a networked MacPro, and have for more than 10 years with no issues.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 16 gigs RAM, 6 terabytes

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 9:42 AM

12 replies

Feb 12, 2016 2:24 PM in response to Limnos

Limnos, thanks very much for the reply. Only wish it was that simple. I've gone so far as to switch out library files from previous back ups and still getting the same result. Been on the phone with Apple engineers most of the day and they are stumped as well.

The only thing that brings my 19,000+ songs back is viewing the iTuneslibrary.itl file in "get info" and stripping off the .itl extension. Then iTunes sees it.

Feb 12, 2016 5:07 PM in response to Robert Rabner

Robert Rabner wrote:

The only thing that brings my 19,000+ songs back is viewing the iTuneslibrary.itl file in "get info" and stripping off the .itl extension. Then iTunes sees it.

Hi Robert,

iTunes Library.itl is the modern name for the library file on a Mac, but back in the day it would have been called simply iTunes Library. If your library started out in an older build of iTunes that might be why the older version of the name works. You can hold down option when starting iTunes to choose a specific file.

tt2

Feb 13, 2016 12:44 PM in response to Robert Rabner

See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for more on reconnecting to the right library file and Make a split library portable for some background on the default layout for the library. The the songs missing from the listing in the library, or missing from the folder where they are expected to be? Do you see exclamation marks in iTunes? Do you have a backup of the library that could be restored or any devices that hold lost content?

Is this the same library you are referring to here? Re: Why is iTunes duplicating my songs?

tt2

Feb 13, 2016 1:14 PM in response to turingtest2

That is my post regarding the duplicated library. I'm trying to find an application that will work outside of iTunes ideally and filter by shortest file name.

I am seeing the exclamation marks "lots of them" in iTunes. The missing songs exist they have just lost their connection to iTunes.

I do have a back up of "almost" my entire iTunes music folder, it's about 60 days behind so I'm reluctant to use it (just yet anyway). I'm thinking that once I figure out a way to solve my duplicate songs problem and I get back to my normal 19,000 song library, I'm just gonna completely start over and import my music, movies and tv shows into an empty iTunes. I know I'll loose playlists but I'm willing to deal with that. Any thoughts?

Feb 13, 2016 1:47 PM in response to Robert Rabner

I have scripts for repairing mislaid files and deduping, but they only run in Windows. You could take a look at Doug's Scripts to see what's on offer. Working via iTunes rather than the file system would seem to be a better approach. My FindTracks script attempts to repair each broken list which preserves ratings, play counts and playlist membership. I don't think Doug has anything that works in the same way, but there should be one to clean all missing tracks, and iTunes can add in anything that is in the media folder that it doesn't already know about. Dupin or Dupin Lite 2 should manage duplicates. I haven't tested them so I don't know exactly how they behave. My Windows script merges play counts, playlist membership and highest rating, and copes with various situations such as multiple entires to the same file, one active and one missing file, or keeping the largest (assumes best quality) when the same track exists in different sizes/formats.

tt2

Feb 14, 2016 7:26 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks, I've been examining Dougs script and it may do the trick. The reason I'm more inclined to work outside of iTunes is a little complicated. The library file I was able to load had the correct song count at about 19,000 so it won't see the piles of duplicates unless I intentionally load all 55,000 songs and then run a de-dupping program. However If I can accomplish my goal outside of iTunes and just treat them as duplicate files it may reduce a few steps.

I want to thank you for you insight and assistance in this process.

iTunes Library file mystery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.