Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving from my old iMac 27" to a new one

What is the best method to move all my setting, applications and files from my old iMac 27" to my new iMac 27"?

Thanks,

Amnon

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), null

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 2:23 PM

Back it up to an external USB drive. Then connect the drive to the new Mac and restore your stuff into the same locations from which it came. Be sure the new admin account you create on the new Mac has the same username and password as your used on the old Mac. This will avoid any permissions issues on the transferred data.

Suggested Backup Software

1. Carbon Copy Cloner

2. Get Backup

3. Deja Vu

4. SuperDuper!

Others may be found at MacUpdate.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

How to safely use MacUpdate to download malware-free software:

This site has both free and paid membership accounts. If you have neither then some software will be distributed as an installer wrapper that includes adware/malware you may not want. Such a download may appear on your computer like this: Firefox Installer.dmg. Delete the download and return to the main site where you will find a direct link to the developer's website. Use that link from which to download the software.

To avoid such downloads from MU just create a free membership account. Log into your account prior to using the site. This will avoid the installer wrappers and downloading adware or malware. I continue to use their site without any problems.

If you prefer not to create a membership account then note that on the download page under the price box will be the link to the developer’s site. Use that link and download the software directly from the developer circumventing the use of MU altogether.

You may get warnings from one user in this topic warning that the site is “dangerous.” His warning is an exaggeration and it is false. Learn the facts. You merely need to establish a free or paid membership to avoid problems with malware. Don’t pay attention to other users who warn you away with hyperbole and rhetorical insults.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 2:23 PM in response to Amnon39

Back it up to an external USB drive. Then connect the drive to the new Mac and restore your stuff into the same locations from which it came. Be sure the new admin account you create on the new Mac has the same username and password as your used on the old Mac. This will avoid any permissions issues on the transferred data.

Suggested Backup Software

1. Carbon Copy Cloner

2. Get Backup

3. Deja Vu

4. SuperDuper!

Others may be found at MacUpdate.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

How to safely use MacUpdate to download malware-free software:

This site has both free and paid membership accounts. If you have neither then some software will be distributed as an installer wrapper that includes adware/malware you may not want. Such a download may appear on your computer like this: Firefox Installer.dmg. Delete the download and return to the main site where you will find a direct link to the developer's website. Use that link from which to download the software.

To avoid such downloads from MU just create a free membership account. Log into your account prior to using the site. This will avoid the installer wrappers and downloading adware or malware. I continue to use their site without any problems.

If you prefer not to create a membership account then note that on the download page under the price box will be the link to the developer’s site. Use that link and download the software directly from the developer circumventing the use of MU altogether.

You may get warnings from one user in this topic warning that the site is “dangerous.” His warning is an exaggeration and it is false. Learn the facts. You merely need to establish a free or paid membership to avoid problems with malware. Don’t pay attention to other users who warn you away with hyperbole and rhetorical insults.

Moving from my old iMac 27" to a new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.