Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAS Drive and iTunes Issues

I am now the proud owner of a brand new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and am in the throws of transferring all my music, movies and home videos from my old PC (running XP) to the iMac. My library on the PC is just short of 2TB and, being the nerd that I am, has all the correct album and movie art associated. Having had a couple of unsucsessfull attempts in trying to transfer everything to the NAS from the PC only to find that none of the album artwork is showing up, I am now wondering if anyone here has had the same experience as me and has a solution. Any help gratefully received. Thank you.

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 1:21 PM

Album artwork is stored along with other library files in the iTunes folder which makes up a complete library. If you only have media on the external then you only have media.

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive, hold down the option/alt key while starting iTunes, and when requested to select a library select the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied folder.

Using a NAS can be accompanied by a large range of puzzling and unsolvable issues. Browse this forum.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 1:21 PM in response to Catmandrew

Album artwork is stored along with other library files in the iTunes folder which makes up a complete library. If you only have media on the external then you only have media.

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive, hold down the option/alt key while starting iTunes, and when requested to select a library select the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied folder.

Using a NAS can be accompanied by a large range of puzzling and unsolvable issues. Browse this forum.

Feb 13, 2016 7:25 AM in response to Catmandrew

iTunes uses a serious of files and folders to create the library you see. These are normally all contained within the central iTunes folder, though sometimes people split media off onto a separate drive.

For artwork iTunes places a separate file in the artwork folder and gives it a cryptic reference. When you click on a track iTunes looks up the track information in its .itl file. This tells iTunes what track information you have, where the file is located iTunes should play, what artwork file it should display, etc. If you used iTunes to fetch the artwork the only place the artwork is located is in this artwork folder. If you add artwork yourself a copy if placed in this folder and another copy is also embedded in the media file itself.

The interleaving of the various files and folders means it is best to leave it all up to iTunes and keep the lot in the iTunes folder as a complete package. If you do not and things are not done correctly, either by you messing up or the NAS or the operating system, it is possible to corrupt the library references. Using a NAS throws a wildcard into the game because for some reason NAS and iTunes do not play well together. Nobody who has had a problem with NAS and iTunes has actually gone to the trouble of systematically analyzing the issue so I can't tell you why. My guess is NAS tend to use a different file system and you have to trust it can correctly interpret file paths. It may be an issue of accents and you trying to speak to somebody who uses pidgin English..

The cat was a medium hair tortoiseshell who lived to be about 19.

Feb 14, 2016 10:40 AM in response to Limnos

I am going through the same thing, except that I have been procrastinating. Old PC running Windows 7 and large library of music, tv and movies in iTunes newer iMac 27" containing it's own smaller library containing everything I have added through the procrastination period + Synology Diskstation. Intend to get the media to the Diskstation but maintain the info on iMac.

NAS Drive and iTunes Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.