Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I play an All-Region DVD on my MacBook Pro?

Hello!

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid-2012) and I am considering buying a DVD. However, the DVD is "All Regions" (it's from Germany) and I have previously only played Region 1 DVDs on my MacBook (as I live in the United States). Before I buy this $50 DVD, I want to make sure that I can actually play it on my MacBook without messing anything up; I want to be able to still watch my other Region 1 DVDs after watching this All Regions DVD.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 10:25 AM

16 replies

Feb 12, 2016 10:11 PM in response to n00b2MaC

Normally, DVD Player (the app) lets the dvd player (the hardware) do the decoding, which gets validated thru the regionalization mechanism so you won't dare play something you are not allowed and interfere with the all-important revenue streams. VLC taps the raw data before that point and does the decoding by software. The downside, besides making industry fat cats poorer or so they say, is that you might get choppy video or audio and possibly lose access to some multimedia features.

Can I play an All-Region DVD on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.