Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5c water damage - can hear alerts come through when turned on - screen starts black slowly fades to white with lines all over - what to do next?

I recently dropped my phone by accident in a puddle of water outside when getting out of the car. I didn't realize it had happened until 15-30 minutes later so once I found it I shut it off, went home and placed it in a bowl of rice. I left it over night then tried to turn it on in the morning nothing happened but screen was black and slowly faded to white with lines.Turned it back off and later put in a ziplock bag with new rice. Tried turning it on a few days later still nothing but this time could hear message alerts come through but the screen was still unresponsive and went from black to white with the lines again. I put some silica gel packets into the baggy and still haven't had much luck. Just wondering if there's anything I can do? Any tips? Should I take it in? Try to replace the battery? Or is it the screen that is ruined? Please help! Broke college student who can't really afford this:(

iPhone 5c

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 11:25 AM

5 replies

Feb 12, 2016 12:30 PM in response to shyfromnorwich

Like Mark_pro said on an other topic

You have a few options here.

1. If your only concern is to have a working phone and cost is not a factor, then your best option would be to have Apple replace the device under their out of warranty replacement program.

2. If, however, your data is important then you'll need to pursue a 3rd party who specializes in liquid damage data recovery.

3. Take it to a local 3rd party repair shop to have it diagnosed. Often liquid damaged devices can be easily repaired by replacing a few parts or a simple cleaning. It is important to find a place that will remove the EMI shields on the logic board and properly clean the entire board though. Often these places will not charge for the time it takes to look at and diagnose the phone and if repair is possible it will be much cheaper than replacing the entire phone

Repairing a liquid damaged device for the sake of the device is always a gamble though, and I'd recommend the first option for long term reliability, the second option if your data is the most important factor, and the 3rd option if you can't afford the first.

iphone 5c water damage - can hear alerts come through when turned on - screen starts black slowly fades to white with lines all over - what to do next?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.