Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not saving GIFs

When I save a GIF to my camera roll and attempt to send it to myself or another person, it's static. How do I get it to save an animated version? All the instructions I find online say to just save it to the Camera Roll. I know it will look static when viewed in the Camera Roll, but it should play when I send it to myself or someone else. What am I doing wrong?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 12:56 PM

They work if you copy them from a source then paste to a text message. If you send a text to yourself, then the gif is "saved" in the text.You can go to the text and copy/paste it as you need.

I don't think there is a way to save it as an animated gif. Could also download Giphy or some other Gif app

EDIT

As a side note, I use Giphy and it lets me save Gifs to the cameral roll. They don't move in the camera roll but when I add it from the camera to a text message, it works normally. Hope that helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 12:56 PM in response to eimichan

They work if you copy them from a source then paste to a text message. If you send a text to yourself, then the gif is "saved" in the text.You can go to the text and copy/paste it as you need.

I don't think there is a way to save it as an animated gif. Could also download Giphy or some other Gif app

EDIT

As a side note, I use Giphy and it lets me save Gifs to the cameral roll. They don't move in the camera roll but when I add it from the camera to a text message, it works normally. Hope that helps.

Feb 12, 2016 1:06 PM in response to eimichan

If you plug in your iPhone to a Mac and open Image Capture, it will tell you what kind of picture files you have. It will says .jpeg or .gif.

You may not need that info but it will help you know if you are saving a .gif or saving an image. When you press and hold you finger on a gif to save it, it wil say "Save gif" or "Copy gif" whereas and image would say "Save image"

I'm sure there are other gif apps out there too. Giphy is just an example and I know it works for saving gifs. You may find a better one.

iPhone not saving GIFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.