Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi slow on Airport Extreme when connecting ethernet devices

I have an AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Generation) as router (firmware 7.6.4). It's connected to 100mbit/s fiber.

Wifi connection is great. But if I connect my Mac Pro with an ethernet cable the wifi connection gets really bad on my Macbook Pro. Streaming video is almost impossible. If I connect my Time Capsule via ethernet the internet connection gets unusable on all devices regardless wifi/ethernet. Websites take minutes to load!

Settings are DHCP & NAT (200 ip addresses), wifi is a WPA2 Personal. I have no idea where to start.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 1:29 PM

3 replies

Feb 12, 2016 2:43 PM in response to felakuti

I have an AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Generation) as router (firmware 7.6.4). It's connected to 100mbit/s fiber.

Wifi connection is great. But if I connect my Mac Pro with an ethernet cable the wifi connection gets really bad on my Macbook Pro.

Be sure to disable Wi-Fi on your MBP when connected by Ethernet. You should only have one or the other connection when accessing a network or the Internet.

Feb 12, 2016 4:57 PM in response to felakuti

If you power-off the MBP, and just have the Mac Pro connected by Ethernet to one of the available LAN (opposing arrows) port on the 802.11n AirPort Extreme base station are there any issues with this connection? If not, temporarily connect the MBP using an Ethernet connection to another available LAN port on the Extreme, leaving the Mac Pro connected and running. Any issues now?

Wifi slow on Airport Extreme when connecting ethernet devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.