Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SONY AX33 COMPATIBILITY ISSUE WITH FCP 10.2.3 ?

Hi,

We had read that Sony's XAVCs codec was compatible with FCP X since version 10.2. So we bought a couple of Sony FDR-AX33 cams for our business (short features shot in 1080p). So this morning I tested one of them, filling up a 64Gb card with continuous footage from my office window. It gave me 2.5 hrs of 1080p footage.

Now, if I navigate in the card from a recent MacPro's Desktop, I can open the file with QuickTime and play it. But if I try to import it from within FCP X, it fails. Nothing happens. It's like speaking to my cat. So I went on the Web and read some comments. As it seems, everybody recommends a commercial software from Brorsoft to have the file converted in Apple ProRes 422. Hum! In the case of my file, it takes well over 2 hrs to do the job with the fast converter app we use here, Miro.

I have three simple questions:

1- Can FCP X 10.2.3 import DIRECTLY a 2.5 hrs long 1080p file blessed with the XAVCs codec?

2- If it can, what am I doing wrong?

3- And if it can't, why does Apple say it can?

Thank you.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 9:10 AM

I have the Sony FDR-AX100 which shoots in the same XAVCS codecs as your Sony FDR-AX33. I have imported numerous clips from my FDR-AX100 into FCP X, but I do not try and import them directly from the camera card. I use Sony's Play Memories software (free) to transfer the clips from my AX100 to my local hard drive. I then use FCP to import the .MP4 files on the hard drive into FCP X. There is no file conversion involved in this work flow, and I have never experienced any problems using this workflow with FCP X and my Sony FDR-AX100. Here is a link to The PlayMemories software: http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/disoft/int/download/playmemories-home/ma c/en/index.html.

Tom

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 9:10 AM in response to ndumais

I have the Sony FDR-AX100 which shoots in the same XAVCS codecs as your Sony FDR-AX33. I have imported numerous clips from my FDR-AX100 into FCP X, but I do not try and import them directly from the camera card. I use Sony's Play Memories software (free) to transfer the clips from my AX100 to my local hard drive. I then use FCP to import the .MP4 files on the hard drive into FCP X. There is no file conversion involved in this work flow, and I have never experienced any problems using this workflow with FCP X and my Sony FDR-AX100. Here is a link to The PlayMemories software: http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/disoft/int/download/playmemories-home/ma c/en/index.html.

Tom

Feb 13, 2016 11:23 AM in response to TomWheel

Thank you Tom.

I did what you suggested and it worked. My 63.73 Gb video document (1080p XAVCs) was converted on my Desktop (MP4) in a little less than 20 minutes. It"s like three times faster than Miro and four times Brorsoft. Until Apple fixes this import issue, I think Sony's PlayMemories could be the best solution.

Thank you again. Regards.

SONY AX33 COMPATIBILITY ISSUE WITH FCP 10.2.3 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.