Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple TV with Ethernet

I have an Apple TV in my classroom. The Apple TV is connected to a Projector with an HDMI cable. I have an iPad and connect to the Apple TV to show Keynote Presentations and video to my students.

The Apple TV is connected to the school's WiFi network. The school's WiFi network is very "buggy" at random times during the day.

Often, in the middle of a class, the Airplay connection with my iPad will drop and the display goes back to the Apple TV's main screen. Getting the iPad to reconnect to the Apple TV via Airplay may take several minutes. It's annoying.

The Apple TV is not far from an ethernet port and I have a long Ethernet cord. If I connect the Apple TV to the school's network with the Ethernet cord, will this improve the Apple TV's performance?

AppleTV 2, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 8:13 AM

Quite possibly.

Ethernet is significantly less prone to problems that might be encountered with wifi. However don't forget, half of your set up will still be reliant on wifi.

3 replies

Feb 13, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks Winston!

May I ask a question? I hope this isn't too dumb. When my iPad is connected to my Apple TV and projector, is my iPad directly connecting with tha Apple TV, or is it going through the school's network and then on to the Apple TV?

One more...

How do I know if the Apple TV is connected to the wired network via Ethernet? Does it connect automatically, or do I have configure the Apple TV's netwirk settings?g

Thanks again!

Feb 13, 2016 5:19 PM in response to Joeswell

May I ask a question? I hope this isn't too dumb. When my iPad is connected to my Apple TV and projector, is my iPad directly connecting with tha Apple TV, or is it going through the school's network and then on to the Apple TV?

The signal goes through the school network.

How do I know if the Apple TV is connected to the wired network via Ethernet? Does it connect automatically, or do I have configure the Apple TV's netwirk settings?g

It has an ethernet cable plugged into it (wifi is turned off when ethernet is connected)

Using Apple TV with Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.