Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in maps the pin drop of my home location is incorrect

In my home, opening maps and clicking on the pin drop, current location it gives me my neighbors address. Does that means somebody is using my internet? I informed Apple of the incorrect Info.How can I correct this ?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:18 PM

Ingrid141 wrote:

In my home, opening maps and clicking on the pin drop, current location it gives me my neighbors address. Does that means somebody is using my internet? I informed Apple of the incorrect Info.How can I correct this ?

No, it doesn't mean that. It just means the method used for Location Services is not 100% accurate. One reason would be if there is a lot of WiFi traffic near you.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 3:18 PM in response to Ingrid141

Ingrid141 wrote:

No, it doesn't mean that. It just means the method used for Location Services is not 100% accurate. One reason would be if there is a lot of WiFi traffic near you.

Feb 12, 2016 6:40 PM in response to Ingrid141

The selection of addresses, such as the house number, in a mapping application is not an exact science. This information is dependent on GIS data, how it is entered, and how the people entering it have decided on determining the way the block is divided. I've worked with this information with Enhanced 9-1-1 systems. Your house number, at least in the US, is determined by the post office. When GIS divides a block, for example, such as the 2400 block of a particular street, it starts with 2400, and ends at 2499, which most of us know is not the correct numbering system. If that is how it is entered in the GIS, then depending on where you fall in the numbering system, your location on the map could be quite different.

I know that doesn't help you with your location, but if emergency vehicles were using your address, they would be close and would verify via the displayed house numbers. If you were calling on a system that can process Phase 2 wireless calls, then you location is based on your handset, and they would find you there.

Feb 13, 2016 7:58 AM in response to Ingrid141

If you are talking about the blue dot showing your location not showing up on top of your house, Location on a Mac is determined by known WiFi access points. It triangulates your location by noting which WiFi networks are nearby and looking up there location in a database on Apple's servers. The database gets updated by iPhones and iPads which have WiFi on and that type of data allowed to be sent to Apple by the user.

in maps the pin drop of my home location is incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.