Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages Freezing

Earlier today I enabled google's 2-step authentication at my company's IT request. I had an issue enabling it, but I finally got it to work on Mail, not my messages app is freezing up. I had G Chat enabled in messages. I turned off messages for that google account in settings but the messages app is still freezing up. Does anyone have suggests for fixing this issue?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 4:47 PM

2 replies

Feb 13, 2016 8:58 AM in response to chrisfromconifer

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

If that doesn’t work, repeat the above but delete the com.apple.imagent.plist

Thanks to leonie and Ralph Johns (UK)for some information contained in this.

Feb 14, 2016 12:18 PM in response to chrisfromconifer

Hi,

Your IT dept is not going to like it.

I have not found a way to have Google's 2 Step Verification On with Messages.

Google have deemed SSL as not as secure as their own Oauth tokens.

Therefore in the Google Account setting you have to enable "Allow Less Secure Apps" - but this does not work work with 2 Step Verification.

It seems to be more critical with Messages than it does with Mail that also logs in using SSL (it seems Mail can be Fetched and Sent with just an SSL Login without the "Less Secure" item being set).

It has been some while since I checked this so you might be able to set @ Step Verification AND "Less Secure Apps" but I doubt it.

User uploaded file

8:18 pm Sunday; February 14, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.