Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spam email

My carrier is centurylink I have recently had the settings updated to eliminate spam. This works well on the centurylink mail site: the spam mail is being sent to the spam folder and not to the inbox. But the spam mails are still being picked up by my mini ipad and iPhone4. is there a way to get the apple products to pick up only the mail that has not been pulled out as spam? Once the mail is marked and filed as spam in the centurylink site, why is apple still picking it up? can I make that stop?

iPad Mini, iOS 9.2.1, email help

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 3:18 PM

10 replies

Feb 16, 2016 1:35 PM in response to evoche

You can only minimize or control the flow of spam but you can never eliminate them.

When you access your centurylink mail with a browser (webmail), are those junk mail in your spam folder or in your Inbox folder? If they are in the spam folder, does your iOS device download them into your Inbox folder on the iPad?

Feb 17, 2016 9:21 AM in response to evoche

That sounds like you configure your laptop mail and iPad mail with a POP3 account. The spam filtering is done on the client side (your laptop) while downloading the messages from your mailbox. Since the iPad (iOS) mail client does not have spam filtering, it pulls it directly to Inbox. If you reconfigure iPad mail to IMAP, iPad mail should correctly reflect the content of your mailbox.

Feb 18, 2016 8:35 AM in response to evoche

evoche wrote:

I Went to the web site and it says centurylink is incoming pop3. Doesn't look like something I can control. Any thoughts?

This is conflicting with your previous post that says "I Just looked and my iPad is imap." So which one are you using? IMAP or POP3?

According to the link I posted yesterday, centurylink does provide IMAP access but it isn't "supported". Here's a note on the bottom of the page:

^ CenturyLink Technical Support does not support IMAP. IMAP settings are provided as a self-help only reference.

I'm not sure what they mean by unsupported. I'm guessing their tech support can't help you with questions regarding to IMAP.

Configure your device with the following:

Incoming mail (IMAP)

mail.centurylink.net

IMAP port 993 SSL

Outgoing (SMTP)

smtp.centurylink.net

Port 587 TLS

Be aware that spam filtering has to happen on centurylink server, that is, junk email redirection to spam folder must be automatically taken care of on the server side. Any filtering that happens on your laptop (if the laptop is using POP3) will not be reflected on your iPad.

spam email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.