Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS upgrade question

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 it has a 2.66 GHz dual core processor and 13 GB of memory and is running OS X 10.6.8. But, when I tried to upgrade to El Capitan, I received an error message which said it could not be installed on my computer. My machine is pretty old, like 2006ish. Is there anything I can do to make it compatible with El Capitan? If not, what is the newest OS I can upgrade to?

My machine is still awesome and I have no desire to replace it. But, I need to make sure I am still running supported software.

Thanks,

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 5:25 PM

3 replies

Feb 12, 2016 8:36 PM in response to Mugggsie

You can upgrade to10.7 with Apple support. The process is complex.

Buy a download code from the Apple Online Store for US$20. It is delivered in an email in a few days (the process required human interventions, so it does not happen over weekends or holidays.)

Use the instructions provided in the email to register your code at the Mac App Store. This will cause 10.7 Lion to appear on your "Purchases" page, and you can then download it once or repeatedly from the Mac App Store, using that same Apple-ID.

Feb 12, 2016 8:43 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

There is also a hobbyist hack that can add 64-bit support firmware (but running in main store) to the 32-bit firmware already on your early Mac Pro. It is less repugnant than most other hacks of this type because this approach cannot be used to build a Hackintosh using non-Apple Hardware.

Search for 64-on-32 (sfott) to find a blog describing how it works. This is NOT supported by Apple, and if you are a strictly-creative type, I suggest you avoid this approach. WHEN a problem develops, you need to be able to decide whether it is caused by the hack or by something else.

Readers (with the right attitude) report this hack works fairly well.

OS upgrade question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.