Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAIL

I am posting this problem again. Hopefully I will make it clearer and not get rude smart *** responses. I have iPad 2. IOS 9.2.1. I use a Verizon POP account for my mail and I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon with no resolution . I have suddenly got 9,999 emails in my INBOX, most of which were deleted a year ago. I delete them all from the INBOX and TRASH and they reappear in the INBOX within a couple of minutes. It also happens with new mail.

iPad

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 4:15 PM

8 replies

Feb 12, 2016 4:36 PM in response to SCRAPPYMA1948

You said this in your last attempt to get help.

It is a POP account. And it is set up to receive like attachment. I have not deleted and then add because I am afraid to mess up my mail ok my MAC.

I understand your reluctance, but you will not mess up the mail on the Mac if you delete the account on the iPad. I have deleted email accounts both IMAP and POP on my iOS devices without affecting anything on my Mac.

It appears as though you have the settings correct from what I saw in your screenshot, but I think that deleting the account and starting over again would be a good idea since nothing else is working.

Let's start here ..... You say that you spent an hour on the phone with Verizon with no resolution, but I would like to know what Verizon told you.

Feb 13, 2016 4:58 AM in response to Demo

Well, all Verizon had me do was go to settings and change many different settings in the ADVANCED section. Reboot my iPad and nothing worked. To be honest I hung up on them because we were going around in circles. Now, I did delete the account and then added it again and nothing. That was yesterday. DO you want a screen shot of my ADVANCED screen in settings?

Feb 12, 2016 7:25 PM in response to SCRAPPYMA1948

If you look at the "delete from Server" setting of NEVER... this may be part of your issue.

This is set to tell the mail server to never delete your emails, even if you delete them from this iPad. This would explain why these emails keep coming back.

You are telling the iPad to remove deleted messages every day, but telling the server to never remove them.

Feb 13, 2016 5:05 AM in response to SCRAPPYMA1948

The problem is resolved. I hope. I deleted the account again. Turned off my iPad. Waited 10 minutes. Turned it back on and installed my Verizon account again. Some of the settings have changed and I just left them as is. I received new mail only and all deleted and did not come back. It has been an hour since I did this and so far so good. Fingers crossed. Tha you Demo and LACAllen for you assistance. Still don't know what happene.

MAIL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.