Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad mini 4 activation wont accept apple id password

Any ideas folks? the ipad mini 4 has an activation screen, which for some reason wont recognise the correct user id and password for the apple ID. We have tried a reboot and tried changing the password, but i cant get past the activation screen. I tried to plug in to itunes but it says that the ipad needs a newer version than the one i have- but i have installed the most up to date version.

iPad Mini

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 4:17 PM

11 replies

Feb 12, 2016 4:26 PM in response to Fred202020

Last part of your problem first...you need a newer version of iTunes that what you are running on your computer. You may have the latest versions for the OS that you are running on your machine, but you need to use iTunes 12.3 now in order to sync, backup, restore an iOS device running iOS9.

Why not activate the device and then troubleshoot the Apple ID problem. I have activated iOS devices at least a dozen or so times and every time I activated, there was the option to sign into the ID after the device was up and running.bhave you tried skipping that step?

Feb 12, 2016 4:34 PM in response to Demo

It has previously been activated and used by my mother in law, but then she had a problem with it asking for passcodes. When it jammed up we did a factory reset, and now it is asking for the apple id and password, but it wont accept the password and doesnt give us the skip option.

I am uninstalling itunes and reinstalling it as it is telling me that version 12.1.2 is the newest...

Feb 12, 2016 5:18 PM in response to Demo

yeah, we are putting in the original id and password...it isnt playing ball!! if we put the wrong password in, it comes up with an error message "incorrect apple id or password" but if we put all the correct stuff in it comes up with a message saying "incorect apple id. (id details) cannot be used to unlock this ipad"

Feb 12, 2016 5:35 PM in response to Demo

hiya, it doesnt give me that option- i get the what country and language bit, but then it goes into activation and says "this ipad is currently linked to an apple ID (XXXXXXX@XXXXXX) sign in with the apple id that was used to set up this ipad.

We have done that, and it comes up with the error messages above.

I have used the apple ID web page and tried the "forgot my password" and then did a reset. I have also done "forgot my apple ID" and it just confirmed the ID i have been using...

I am stumped....!

ipad mini 4 activation wont accept apple id password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.