Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 dies fast charges slow dies on charger

My Iphone6 has been working without a problem for about a year now but a couple of days ago I noticed that it started to die extremely fats so I put it on the charger and it said it was charging I left and came back 30 minutes later only to see that the battery had gone down, It is on the charger now and I can turn it on and it tells me that the battery is at 5% but it dies only a few seconds later, then turns back on, then dies, and the cycle just repeats over and over again. I've tried charging it for 12 hours repeatedly but it only gets to about 60% then dies after 15 minutes. I've tried multiple chargers but there is no difference. I don't know what to do.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 7:42 PM

2 replies

Feb 14, 2016 7:08 AM in response to r_johnston

Hello r_johnston,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that your iPhone doesn’t seem to be charging or holding a charge as you expect. We know that battery issues can be frustrating, but we are here to help.

To begin troubleshooting, I would suggest reading over and working through the suggested steps in the following article.

If your device won’t charge or charges slowly

If you have very low battery and plug into power, a black screen or one with a red battery might appear for a few minutes. Let your device charge for a half hour. If it still won't charge, follow these steps:

1. Check your charging cable and USB adapter for signs of damage*, like breakage or bent prongs. Don't use damaged accessories.
    User uploaded file
  2. Remove any debris from the charging port on the bottom of your device, then firmly plug your charging cable into your device. If the charging port is damaged, your device probably needs service.
    User uploaded file
  3. For a wall power outlet, check for firm connections between your charging cable, USB wall adapter, and wall outlet, or try a different outlet. For a computer, check that it's on and not in sleep mode, then try each USB port on the computer.
  4. Restart your iOS device. If your device won’t power on or still won't charge, learn what to do.

*If you're unsure about whether an accessory is damaged, take it to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation, or contact Apple Support.

Charge your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

The next article below gives some great information on maximizing your iPhone’s battery by optimizing the settings. It also explains how to view what applications or processes are using the highest percentage of your battery.

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Cheers!

Feb 14, 2016 8:54 AM in response to r_johnston

It sounds like you've already done the basic troubleshooting of using a known good Apple OEM charging block and cable---this is an important step!

Your next step is to troubleshoot the charge port itself---these things are exposed to the external elements and can often become corroded or dirty over time. Try cleaning the charge port with 99% isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip. Ideally, you'd do this with the battery disconnected, or have the Apple Store if convenient, or a quality independent repair shop do this for you.

A great little tool for diagnosis of charging issues is an inexpensive usb ammeter on Amazon. If you plug your phone into the ammeter and the ammeter into the charger, you'll be able to see the amount of current your phone is pulling. This will help you troubleshoot a bad cable or bad connection as you wiggle it around. An iPhone 6 should pull about 1 amp of current for normal charging of a low battery.

If that doesn't work, then the next step is to actually replace the charge port with a known good, and if no joy that points to a problem with the charging logic chip--the tristar chip on the board. This chip is very sensitive and is easily damaged by use of non-Apple chargers, especially car chargers. This chip can be replaced by the better independent repair shops, or as a mail in repair. Apple will not address board level repair for iPhones.

Of course if all that sounds like a pain, you always have the option to go to Apple and just pay the $299 Out of warranty swap fee to have them replace the phone for you.

Iphone 6 dies fast charges slow dies on charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.