Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri isn't working properly when I tell her to text.

When I tell Siri to text my daughter by her first name, the typing that shows up on my screen is our last name. As an example, if her name is Jane Doe and I say "Text Jane", Siri types "Text Doe". Then she asks "Which Doe".

I have deleted my daughter from my contacts and re-added, I have powered off the phone a few times and I have reset Siri and it still happens. Driving me nuts, any help is appreciated!

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 6:17 PM

4 replies

Feb 14, 2016 6:40 AM in response to mobyvt

Hi mobyvt,

To help Siri learn about your relationships, first update your card in the Contacts app. Make sure your card is labeled as "me." Then tap on the "add related name" field and add your family members and any other important people in your life. Then, the next time you need Siri's help, you can just say "text my daughter."

Set your My Info card for Safari, Siri, and other apps

Set your My Info card for Safari, Siri, and other apps. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, tap My Info, then select the contact card with your name and information.

Ask Siri. Say something like:

• “Sarah Castelblanco is my sister”

• “Send a message to my sister”

• “What’s my brother’s work address?”

Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Give it a try!

Feb 14, 2016 11:28 AM in response to mobyvt

Hi Judysings - thanks for the suggestion but I have two daughters and they are both already entered in my contact card info as my children. The odd thing is, no matter who else I text, I can simply say to Siri, "text Joe", "text Susan" or "text Amanda". With this one daughter, when I tell Siri to text her by using the first name, Siri types our last name (which sounds nothing like her first name).

I can text my daughter if I use first and last name but I shouldn't have to, right? I don't have to do that with other people....why is Siri all of a sudden not working for texting this one daughter with just a first name? I'm hoping to able to text my daughter in one step and not have to give the last name every time.

Feb 14, 2016 1:48 PM in response to mobyvt

Hi mobyvt,

I'm not really sure why this behaviour is happening with only one of your daughters. Since you've already tried to re-enter her contact information, and Siri works for everybody else in your address book, have you tried to remove your daughter's last name from her contact card in your address book? Make sure this info gets updated in your My Card as well.

If that does not resolve the issue, perhaps one of our technical advisors can delve into this a little further for you.

Cheers,

Siri isn't working properly when I tell her to text.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.