Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use an ipod nano that was synced to another computer?

My daughter gave me her 2nd generation ipod nano because she no longer uses it. When I plugged it into my USB to charge it, I got a message informing me that there was an update. It wouldn't update beause "ipod cannot be updated because it contains files that are in use by another application."

What do I need to do to be able to use this ipod nano?

iPod nano, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 2:02 PM

I don't think that message is related to the iPod being synced to another computer... It usually means some other application or process on the computer (that is not iTunes) is accessing the iPod for some reason, so iTunes is not able to perform the update. However, your question in the topic subject ("How can I use an ipod nano that was synced to another computer?") is valid, since the iPod was previously used by someone else, with a different iTunes library.

If you want to start using this iPod with your iTunes library and put your songs on it, instead of doing an Update, you should to a Restore. This erases the iPod, reinstalls the latest software, and sets it to default settings. The iPod gets a "fresh start," like when it was new. To resolve the issue with this error message about "files in use by another application," try restarting your computer. Immediately after the computer finishes starting up, run iTunes, connect iPod (if it's not already), and try doing the Restore (or Update). If you still get that error message, please post back.

If you do the Restore, you can set it up to sync with your iTunes library. You can post back, if you need advice on the options for setting it up.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2016 2:02 PM in response to lilyvee

I don't think that message is related to the iPod being synced to another computer... It usually means some other application or process on the computer (that is not iTunes) is accessing the iPod for some reason, so iTunes is not able to perform the update. However, your question in the topic subject ("How can I use an ipod nano that was synced to another computer?") is valid, since the iPod was previously used by someone else, with a different iTunes library.

If you want to start using this iPod with your iTunes library and put your songs on it, instead of doing an Update, you should to a Restore. This erases the iPod, reinstalls the latest software, and sets it to default settings. The iPod gets a "fresh start," like when it was new. To resolve the issue with this error message about "files in use by another application," try restarting your computer. Immediately after the computer finishes starting up, run iTunes, connect iPod (if it's not already), and try doing the Restore (or Update). If you still get that error message, please post back.

If you do the Restore, you can set it up to sync with your iTunes library. You can post back, if you need advice on the options for setting it up.

Feb 15, 2016 2:12 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

The restore worked! I successfully removed my daughter's 30 songs and downloaded two of my podcasts. It is also updated to v1.1,3. But I was only able to this (and just barely) when the unit was either plugged into the wall or to my PC. I did charge the unit with a wall plug and it showed that it was charged with a "plug" icon within the green battery icon. But after more clicks and scrolls, it said "low battery." The unit will not turn on unless it's plugged in either the wall or via USB to my PC. From what I've read, the problem could be many things, even a faulty USB cable. I will probably give up with this iPod and either buy a brand new one or maybe I'll go with the Sansa Clipit, which is what I have before, so there would be much less to have to learn. Thank you for your help.

How can I use an ipod nano that was synced to another computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.