Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is my iTunes backup password?

A couple days ago, I was trying to backup my iPod Touch 5th Generation to my computer. When I tried to open the backup file, it asked me for a password. I never set a password. I tried every password I could think of. Nothing seems to work. I don't know what else to do. Is there any way to retrieve the password without going through the trouble of finding software that will recover it for me?

iPod touch, iOS 9.2.1, Black on the front; grayish on back

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 5:20 PM

1 reply

Feb 12, 2016 10:25 PM in response to Compgeek21

What you are experiencing is an encrypted backup. At some point, yourself, or someone with your device and computer, has enabled the encryption for that backup set. There is no way of resetting an encryption password as it is local and specific to that file only. You have unlimited number of tries to guess it as there is no lockout on it. There are some extra tips here: About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support At the end of the day, if you cannot remember your password, you can restore the iPod and set up as new to start over without encryption.

What is my iTunes backup password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.