Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't boot to OSX after using boot camp

Hey everyone

I got a 13' Macbook pro (2015) with ratina display, 2.7 i5, 8 GB RAM and 128GB Flash storage.

The problem started when I decided to run boot camp on the device, everything ran smoothly until the boot camp installation on windows 10. The installer got stuck in the process so I exited it. Then I went to the OSXRESERVED partition and I found the boot camp folder but when I tried to open it to run the installer again, I got an error message saying that the folder can't be opened and its corrupt. Then I formatted this partition using windows (how stupid of me). And now I can't boot back to OSX again.

I tried going to Internet recovery then the disk utility. I can only see the partition that I made for windows which is only 40GB. And there is "virtual whole disk" which is written in red. When I clicked on verify, it said that the disk needs to be repaired, when I clicked on repair. The the same alert showed again saying that the disk needs to be repaired.

Also I've tried to restore using time machine backup but as I've mentioned it won't give me the access to the other partition that's the 80 GB one. Instead it only shows the 40 GB one and its not enough storage to restore the backup with.

Sorry for taking so long and I appreciate everyone's help, thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 6:51 AM

Hi Tayar98,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities. Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro!

It looks like you can't start up to OS X or restore from a Time Machine backup after a partition was formatted using the Windows installer.

You may need to erase and repartition your MacBook Pro hard drive before restoring from the Time Machine backup. You can use the steps in Disk Utility (El Capitan): Partition a physical disk:

Erase and repartition a device

You can erase all volumes on a device and create new ones. For example, if you want to change the partition map of a USB, Thunderbolt, or other storage device from Master Boot Record to GUID Partition Map. If you simply want to erase a volume, see Erase a volume.

WARNING: Erasing and partitioning a device destroys all data on all volumes of the device.

1. Select the device in the sidebar you want to erase and repartition, then click the Erase button User uploaded file.

Note: You can’t erase the device that contains your startup volume.

2. Enter a name for the initial volume.

3. Click the Map pop-up menu, then choose a format for the initial partition.

For MS-DOS and ExFAT partitions, the name must be eleven characters or less.

• GUID Partition Map: Used for all Intel-based Mac computers.

• Master Boot Record: Used for Windows partitions that will be formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) or ExFAT.

• Apple Partition Map: Used for compatibility with older PowerPC-based Mac computers.

4. Click Erase, then click Done.

Best Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2016 6:51 AM in response to Tayar98

Hi Tayar98,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities. Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro!

It looks like you can't start up to OS X or restore from a Time Machine backup after a partition was formatted using the Windows installer.

You may need to erase and repartition your MacBook Pro hard drive before restoring from the Time Machine backup. You can use the steps in Disk Utility (El Capitan): Partition a physical disk:

Erase and repartition a device

You can erase all volumes on a device and create new ones. For example, if you want to change the partition map of a USB, Thunderbolt, or other storage device from Master Boot Record to GUID Partition Map. If you simply want to erase a volume, see Erase a volume.

WARNING: Erasing and partitioning a device destroys all data on all volumes of the device.

1. Select the device in the sidebar you want to erase and repartition, then click the Erase button User uploaded file.

Note: You can’t erase the device that contains your startup volume.

2. Enter a name for the initial volume.

3. Click the Map pop-up menu, then choose a format for the initial partition.

For MS-DOS and ExFAT partitions, the name must be eleven characters or less.

• GUID Partition Map: Used for all Intel-based Mac computers.

• Master Boot Record: Used for Windows partitions that will be formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) or ExFAT.

• Apple Partition Map: Used for compatibility with older PowerPC-based Mac computers.

4. Click Erase, then click Done.

Best Regards.

Can't boot to OSX after using boot camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.