Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dog-whistle like sound coming from iMac?

All of a sudden, I wake up on Monday (today is Friday) and my iMac is emitting a very high-frequency noise coming from inside. I can only describe the noise to what a dog whistle sounds like. Very even, constant, high-pitched noise. No clicking, no motor-like noises.

It's exactly like when your ears ring - but unfortunately, it never goes away.

It's only an annoyance but I would like to know if there is anything I can do.

Here's what I concluded thus far:

• It's not the fans running on high. That happened to me not too long ago, so I know what it sounds like.
  • I don't think it has anything to do with the screen/LEDs because:
    • The noise does not change at all when I adjust the screen's brightness level.
    • The noise remains when the display goes off. I changed the energy saving options to make the display sleep before the computer and the noise remained constant.
  • I opened up Photo Booth and that had no effect either.
  • The sound is coming from the right side of the iMac because when I put a card in front of the space in between the computer and the desk and slide it left to right, the sound eases when the card is in front of the right side.

I am aware that iMacs make a light buzz from CPU/HD sounds and stuff. I have had two iMacs since 2007. But logically, you would think that after 9 years I wouldn't notice any "regular sounds". I am noticing this sound which makes me think it's new.

(Am I just losing my mind and hearing ringing in my head??? Cuz I would believe that too LOL)

Any help would help! Thank you!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 21.5-inch, Mid 2011

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2017 1:52 PM

I have the exact same problem.

- I have a 2009 imac, and this started happening only last month (2017) when I upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan. I don't think this is a coincidence.

- I have an SSD that I installed a couple years ago, so it's not the hard drive fan as another poster suggests

- The noise will quickly go away and come back when I open applications or sometimes even scroll text.

- It's "SUPER ANNOYING"

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2017 1:52 PM in response to ande6519

I have the exact same problem.

- I have a 2009 imac, and this started happening only last month (2017) when I upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan. I don't think this is a coincidence.

- I have an SSD that I installed a couple years ago, so it's not the hard drive fan as another poster suggests

- The noise will quickly go away and come back when I open applications or sometimes even scroll text.

- It's "SUPER ANNOYING"

Feb 12, 2016 7:24 PM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late response! You were right, it was a fan! But not the Optical Drive fan. The Hard Disk fan.

I downloaded SDD Fan Control App and was given the option to control the Hard Disk fan and the Optical Drive fan.

OD had no change. But when I reduced the Hard Disk fan the noise went away.

Can you please help me in the next step? What do I do now?

On "Auto" the the fan is around 2400 RPM at 126 F. Is this normal?

Thank you so much!

Dog-whistle like sound coming from iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.