Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay and contacts

I Have a brand new Volkswagon Golf. I have a iPhone 5s with the latest iOS, 9.1.2. when I select the phone icon on the CarPlay screen, Siri asks who to call. This works fine. BUT, I cannot scroll the contacts list, nor dial a new number. If I connect via Bluetooth, all the contacts display.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1, CarPlay

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 10:07 PM

Hi Aileenfromeden,

I don't have any experience with CarPlay, but I'd be more than happy to hopefully help us get this figured out together! To start off, If I'm right you'd like to see your contacts on the display in your vehicle. The only problem is that your contacts are only displayed when the iPhone is connecting to the car through bluetooth.

I may be wrong but my best guess would be the car may probably not have some form of "storage" media so it can't store your contacts, which might explain why you're not able to see your contacts unless you connect the device to car with bluetooth. From what I've seen around the web though, If your car has an iPhone plug, you could try connecting your device to the plug inside that car, and CarPlay should automatically recognize it. Once CarPlay recognizes the device, see if you can access your contacts. If you can, then the next time you can just leave your iOS device plugged in, and not have to use bluetooth.

I'd also recommend checking out this support article from Apple about setting up CarPlay with your iOS device just for other resources if you wanted or needed more information, which is located here: Set up CarPlay to use with your iPhone - Apple Support.

I hope I was able to help you, or at least provide you some information. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

John

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 10:07 PM in response to aileenfromeden hills

Hi Aileenfromeden,

I don't have any experience with CarPlay, but I'd be more than happy to hopefully help us get this figured out together! To start off, If I'm right you'd like to see your contacts on the display in your vehicle. The only problem is that your contacts are only displayed when the iPhone is connecting to the car through bluetooth.

I may be wrong but my best guess would be the car may probably not have some form of "storage" media so it can't store your contacts, which might explain why you're not able to see your contacts unless you connect the device to car with bluetooth. From what I've seen around the web though, If your car has an iPhone plug, you could try connecting your device to the plug inside that car, and CarPlay should automatically recognize it. Once CarPlay recognizes the device, see if you can access your contacts. If you can, then the next time you can just leave your iOS device plugged in, and not have to use bluetooth.

I'd also recommend checking out this support article from Apple about setting up CarPlay with your iOS device just for other resources if you wanted or needed more information, which is located here: Set up CarPlay to use with your iPhone - Apple Support.

I hope I was able to help you, or at least provide you some information. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

John

Feb 12, 2016 11:16 PM in response to Coolbobcat2

I connected to CarPlay by putting the USB end of my phone cable into the USB port in my car and the other end into my iPhone. CarPlay comes up. Contacts still do not. I have tried several cables, and turned my iPhone off and on again several timeS. When I don't connect via the iPhone cable, yes, Bluetooth is the default connection. However, I've been using the iPhone charging cable.

SO thanks for the information, but it doesn't help me.

CarPlay and contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.