Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much does server cost?

I know it's $19.99 in the App Store.

My question is, is that a one time cost, and I keep getting Server for use with future Server versions with future OS X versions?

OR does Apple add each new version of Server as a new App, so every time you upgrade OS X, you'd have to buy a new version of Server?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 9:35 PM

5 replies

Feb 13, 2016 2:47 AM in response to l008com

Whilst in the past, since Tiger, SL et al and up to Server 4 you had to purchase server again each time with every upgrade. This has now changed, evident with Server 5 with which you can manage Yosemite and El Capitan. It seems that with the growth in maturity, that the essentials will remain in place, therefore easier for the GUI to 'manage' the underlying processes and procedures. We simply had to 'click buy' to upgrade the server software at no cost, if we had purchased it before (server 4). In the days of Tiger and up to SL your server software had a 'serial number'. That has since disappeared, I dont find it anymore in it's usual place.

Leo

Feb 13, 2016 3:03 AM in response to l008com

I'm not exactly sure how you are determining that you no longer have to keep paying for server. The part about Server.app being able to control other versions was true back in the early days of OS X too. Server Admin (boy I miss that app) was SUPPOSED to be able to control older versions of OS X too, it just was always broken until they finally gave up on it.

Feb 13, 2016 4:36 AM in response to l008com

There seems to be consensus amongst posters on the various forums (optimism perhaps?), that it is the case. Server 5 can be used to manage a Yosemite and El Capitan. We have also seen an update since (not altogether strange), but before server was bound to a specific iteration only. Some authors seems to agree on this point, if you read their books.

Leo

Feb 13, 2016 10:52 AM in response to Leopardus

Leopardus wrote:

There seems to be consensus amongst posters on the various forums (optimism perhaps?), that it is the case. Server 5 can be used to manage a Yosemite and El Capitan. We have also seen an update since (not altogether strange), but before server was bound to a specific iteration only. Some authors seems to agree on this point, if you read their books.

OS X Server version 5 is compatible with OS X 10.10.5 and later, per the compatibility section at the left of the App Store product specs.

AFAIK, this is the first version that does have that compatibility, however. OS X Server 10.6 and earlier — which had separate distributions, and cost US$500 and US$1000 for the 10-user and unlimited-user packages, respectively — and the Server.app tool that is an add-on purchase for 10.7 through 10.11 have also been version-specific. Though not with this most recent Server.app 5 version, as mentioned in the Apple specs.

How much does server cost?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.