Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can only boot one RAM stick at a time (2x4GB OWC Upgrade)

Mac Mini 3,1 (Late 2009)

2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Boot version: MM31.00AD.B00 (latest)

SMC version: 1.35f1

Per recommendation from OWC testing, I'm trying to upgrade from 2 GB (1x2GB) to 8 GB (2x4GB). Using OWC8566DDR38SGP, 2x4GB PC-8500S 1066MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM 204 Pin 1.5V.

I installed both sticks of RAM, and attempted a boot. I received 1 short Post beep every 5 seconds indicating "No RAM installed."

I removed one stick to see if the problem was a bad module or a bad socket, and the system booted just fine and recognized 4GB. I swapped the sticks, and successfully booted again.

I moved the RAM from the upper socket to the lower one, and got the single repeating Post beep again. I'm not sure this means anything, because it's been my experience that you must use the first socket if you want to leave one empty. I'm guessing the upper socket is RAM Socket 0 in this case.

Next, I tried cleaning the RAM contacts (they were already clean). Then I tried resetting the SMC controller... This didn't make much sense, since I had to have the power cable out to install the ram?... But, as I expected, no change.

Am I correct in thinking this could be a conflict between the two sticks of RAM, even though they are the same manufacturer and model? I think the MoBo just can't initialize the RAM sticks together. Should I return them for a swap out and try a fresh pair of ram sticks? Or should I just go with a different manufacturer? Anyone else had this problem? Yes, I know Apple posted 4GB as the max RAM for this model, but the firmware supports 8GB, and testing has been done. Old news by now.

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), MM3100AD.B00

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 11:38 AM

Have you tried reinstalling both stick of the original memory?

If they still work then call OWC.

I purchased 2x4 GB RAM for my late 2009 Mini fro OWC and had not problem.

If the original memory does not work that means a hardware problem with the Mini. Maybe a slow was damaged during installation of the new memory

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2016 11:38 AM in response to james_c_2016

Have you tried reinstalling both stick of the original memory?

If they still work then call OWC.

I purchased 2x4 GB RAM for my late 2009 Mini fro OWC and had not problem.

If the original memory does not work that means a hardware problem with the Mini. Maybe a slow was damaged during installation of the new memory

Feb 13, 2016 7:01 AM in response to lllaass

Yes, I resintalled both original sticks of RAM and I had no problem initializing. OWC is closed until Tuesday, I think, because of Presidents' day, and I can't wait that long for them to tell me what I already know, then still have to wait on the new RAM to arrive. I've heard good things about OWC, so I'm going to give it another shot and hope it was just bad chance and I got the one in a million bad stick.

I've been building my own PCs for decades, but this problem of matching sticks not initializing is an area of RAM I don't know much about. I just trust the testing, match the specs, stick it in, and test it.

Can only boot one RAM stick at a time (2x4GB OWC Upgrade)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.