Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 Resolution Issue on mid2015 rMBP 15" FIX and SOLUTION

Hi Everyone,

Apple seems to not like updating the drivers for the dedicated AMD GPU that comes with the mid2015 rMBP 15" laptop. The last update was back in November. It's very important to keep the graphics drivers up-to-date so that resolution issues get corrected, battery life is maximized, and other issues get resolved. After a lot of research and testing, I found a way to install the latest driver updates directly from AMD without going through the Apple Software Update application (which is once a year anyway).

Here is the fix to get the latest drivers up-to-date (Feb 2016 drivers):

http://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/2015/09/21/update-amd-display-driver-under-bootc amp/

Here is the direct download link for the "already modified drivers" if you aren't technical enough to make the modifications yourself (All update drivers are included in the ZIP download file, so be sure to use the Feb 2016 drivers) - (Also, the author seems to keep adding the newest drivers as they're released, so keep checking back on the site for updates):

https://remkoweijnen.sharefile.eu/d-sd8d66102d7d43ee8

The newest drivers seem to have corrected my resolution issues and gave me more options in its settings than the Apple Bootcamp release.

Another issue I encountered and had to correct after the Driver Updates (issue I had before the updates, which is why I was aggravated to begin with) is in the Windows Display settings my size of text and applications were at 300% and still small. To correct that issue I did the following:

**Be sure to install the Driver Updates listed above FIRST

1. Created a new local user account through Computer Management > Users

2. Added my new local account to the administrators group in Computer Management > Groups > Administrators > Add

3. Restart the computer

4. Login with the new account

5. The new Profile for the new account NOW has the corrected resolution (will be set to 200% by default)

6. Copied all of my data from the old account's user profile to my new profile (C:\Users\OLDPROFILE_NAME to C:\Users\NEWPROFILE_NAME)

7. Deleted the old user account through Computer Management > Users > Delete

8. Deleted the old user profile folder to free up disk space (C:\Users\OLDPROFILE)

9. Setup all of my programs again (outlook, etc etc etc) on my new profile setup (think of it as logging in for the first time, except all of you programs are installed but you just need to set them up again)

10. Create a Folder called Startup in the following location: C:\Users\NEWPROFILENAME\AppData\Roaming\

*This directory gets deleted when creating a new user profile. Recreate this folder so you see your Startup Apps in Task Manager.

The work around was greatly worth it! The resolution is now perfect! I feel so much more comfortable working off my rMBP and don't have to squint my eyes at every little thing to do so.

I'm ashamed at Apple for not putting a lot of effort in trying to help keep VERY important drivers up-to-date for it's customers and end-users. Thank God for people like us that are able to take technical problems and turn them into solutions.

I hope you all found this FIX useful!

P.S.> This is not a band-aid for this issue. This is an actual "resolution" -literally 😁

Thanks,

Mark

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 2.8GHz, AMD GPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB PCIe

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:08 AM

There are no replies.

Windows 10 Resolution Issue on mid2015 rMBP 15" FIX and SOLUTION

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.