Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated to pages 5.6.1 but App Store is asking me to update again

I just finished installing Pages 5.6.1 but App Store is still showing it as an update & whenever I open Pages it asks me to update!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 11:17 PM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2016 3:35 AM in response to Jewelove

Solution: Quit Pages '09, and then double-click the document that caused this message. It will then open properly in Pages v5.6.1.

With OS X 10.11 (any release), when attempting to open a Pages v5 document in Pages '09, whether via the File Chooser, or via double-click, it will pop the following dialog:

User uploaded file

You have attempted to open a Pages v5 authored document with Pages '09, which cannot decipher the backwards incompatible document architecture. It is confusingly telling you that you need Pages v5.6.1 to open the document. You may also see another form of this pop-up stating that the index.xml file is missing.

Feb 13, 2016 5:00 AM in response to VikingOSX

@VikingOSX

Not that is not the case. I do not see that dialog box. I only see the regular "A new update for Pages is available" dialog box. As you can see in the screenshot shared, even the App store is showing an available update for Pages, even though it also clearly shows that the update was installed. (check the version no. in both of them, they are exactly the same!) It is as if Pages update was & downloaded & installed but not implemented, if that makes any sense?User uploaded file

Feb 13, 2016 5:37 AM in response to Jewelove

I could trick the App Store into this scenario by moving the installed Pages v5.6.1 to a non-boot drive, or zipping it in-place. The App Store would know that it had been installed, not find it, and offer it up again. If this isn't the case with you, then it is something else.

Why not take a trip through safe boot mode to see if this goes away.

1. Power down (not reboot) the Mac
  2. Power on, and immediately press and hold the shift key until you see horizontal boot progress. This will be slower than usual.
  3. You will be greeted by a full-screen login window, with a red Safe Boot in the upper-right corner of the screen.
  4. After you type in your password, stop, press and hold the shift-key, and click the right arrow to login. Release the shift key when your Desktop icons appear.
  5. Launch the OS X App Store, and check Updates. Is the Pages v5.6.1 duplication still present?
  6. Reboot normally, and check item 5 again. Is it fixed?

I updated to pages 5.6.1 but App Store is asking me to update again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.