Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alias links

Since installing OSX 10.11.3 I have noticed that my alias links constantly need repairing. I have used alias links on my desktop for years, and had no problems at all. Until now.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:34 AM

4 replies

Feb 13, 2016 3:19 AM in response to CellarDwellr

My links are on the desktop and point to files within my home folder.

I click on the desktop link and a pop up box appears telling me to fix the link. It navigates to the folder the master file is in and all I do then, is click on that file to re-astablish the link.

It doesn't lose the link all the time, it seems random.

Hope that makes sense.

Feb 13, 2016 3:30 AM in response to neilandjan

Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense to me. Since the issue happened since installing 10.11.3, you should consider installing it again (yes you can do that) Download it from here and install: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1858?locale=en_US

If that is not the solution you might be dealing with a permissions problem in your home folder. Lync Davis wrote a guide for how to repair it in this forum post: How can I manually change permissions under El Capitan?

alias links

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.