Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What apps to use to clean up the unwanted cache?

What apps to use to clean up the unwanted cache? I have battery doctor now, but would be nice to share some insights on the topic. Iphone 6, latest update. Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Mid 2014 13' Retina

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 1:23 AM

8 replies

Feb 15, 2016 10:29 AM in response to Manuel Manev

Manuel Manev wrote:

From Check your storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support:

Your iOS device automatically deletes cached files when it needs more space. You don't need to delete them yourself.

To increase available space please read Delete music, movies, apps, and other content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Feb 20, 2016 5:13 AM in response to Manuel Manev

What I have found (with my 5c) is that it's best to go through your 'stuff'. Get rid of old photos, music, apps and such using a combination of straight deleting and iTunes. THEN- restart the phone, THEN do a manual backup, THEN do a 'restore' iPhone. When it connects back up in iTunes use that latest backup to restore the phone. You will get rid of a LOT of that "Other" space that isn't easily accessible otherwise. I easily recover a couple of gigs of space each time. Generally do it monthly just to keep ahead of any problems that can arise with so little space on device.

Jun 13, 2016 9:39 PM in response to John Galt

... Except when iOS *doesnt* automatically clear the cache and instead allows it consume all of your phone's memory.. We need a solution that doesn't involve backing up and restoring with a computer because not everyone owns one, and as smart phones and tablets improve fewer people are going to buy one (why waste your money on a big clunky computer when your phone can do everything you need?)

Jul 22, 2016 9:26 PM in response to John Galt

AS it turns out, this just isn't true. I'm using iOS 9.3.3 on my iPad, and the video "streaming" cache doesn't clear out. I have to log out of iTunes and back in. Also, just downloading a video (clicking the cloud in the Videos app) not only consumes the space (e.g. 300MB) for the show I download, but an additional copy of that movie in the cache!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.