Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have to turn wifi on and off constantly

I bought a new 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display just before the new year. Now, the wifi does not seem to stay connected. Every minute or two, in order to load a new webpage, I have to toggle wifi off and then back on again. This entire time it says I have stayed connected (I have full bars, in Network preferences it displays the green connection symbol) but when I click on the wifi symbol in the top right it alternates between saying "Wifi: On" and "Wifi: Looking for networks".

I know it isn't my home wifi as my roommate's Macbook Pro works perfectly, as do any guests who come by. As you could guess it is super annoying to have to toggle wifi off and on again just to load a new facebook page or a new google search. Also, I will have to toggle wifi to load the netflix website but once it is streaming there are no problems, so again it doesn't seem like my home wifi is cutting in and out of service.

Does anyone know what I could do to fix this?

Things I have tried:

- Deleted all other networks except my home wifi, to ensure it is not trying to connect to another.

- Tried creating a separate location within Network Preferences. Within the advanced options I changed the DNS servers to "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4" as well as manually configuring the MTU to 1453 instead of 1500 (as per the instructions I found on the OSx Daily site to fix Wi-fi Issues with El Capitan: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/16/fix-wi-fi-problems-mac-os-x-el-capitan/)

Many thanks to anyone who has a solution!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:23 AM

1 reply

Feb 14, 2016 9:23 AM in response to abrooks134

Hi abrooks134,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It seems like the Wi-Fi on your MacBook Pro isn't staying connected. I know that can be an annoying situation.

You've tried some good troubleshooting steps so far. Have you used Wireless Diagnostics yet to check for interference or other issues? This is what I'd suggest next--Use Wireless Diagnostics to help you resolve Wi-Fi issues on your Mac.

You may also want to see if the same things happen when you're booted into safe mode--OS X El Capitan: Start up in safe mode.

Sincerely.

Have to turn wifi on and off constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.