Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on Start Up Apple logo screen with 50% progress bar, tried everything. Please help!

Hi Everyone. I would really appreciate any advice you could offer me to help me fix my laptop. I have a Macbook Pro Mid-2010 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, running OS X Yosemite. About a year ago, it started lagging a lot, so replaced the HDD with a Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD. It has been working much better since.

A few days ago, I bought a Google Chromecast and had set it up with my MBP. Afterwards, it started to lag and I noticed there were apps in Launchpad that I had never downloaded (Google Drive, Gmail, Youtube, etc). I could not delete these apps or drag them to the Trash. Concerned, I decided to back up my files to a USB stick and re-install the OS X.

However, when booting up the MBP, it becomes stuck on the Apple logo screen, with the progress bar never going beyond 50%. (Picture: http://postimg.org/image/66qh6x633/)

What I've tried:

PHASE 1 (Before Reformatting)

- Safe Mode: Pressed Power button and held down Shift. Hit or miss, worked 1-2 times, but when I reboot, becomes stuck at the Apple logo again.

- Reinstall OS X: CMD+R; after 15-20 mins gets to OS X Utilities Screen; Reinstalled OS X Yosemite; 7 hours to reinstall - but when the mbp restarts to complete the installation, it becomes stuck at the Apple logo again.

- Reformatting: CMD+R; 15-20 mins gets to OS X Utilities Screen (multiple reboots to work); Select Repair for all disks/drives (Samsung SSD, Recovery HD). Output said both are fine; Select Erase for Recovery HD. When that was done, I tried to reinstall OS X Yosemite, but the MBP suddenly shut off. When I turned it on again, it went back to being stuck on the Apple logo loading screen. Attempted reboot 15+ times, but same result everytime.

PHASE 2 (After Reformatting).

- Power -> CMD+R = stuck at Apple logo screen with 50% progress bar

- Power -> Option = shows 2 drive and Wi-Fi box (Pic: http://postimg.org/image/58qi2j1vl/); Have tried all combinations, but regardless, still becomes stuck on the Apple logo screen at 50% progress, after leaving it on for an hour, I sudden hear "To use English as the main language...", but the screen is still stuck. I left it on for 36 hours once and nothing changed

- Power -> Shift = Error (Pic: http://postimg.org/image/tahklsvy1/); Keep rebooting or shows another error (Pic: http://postimg.org/image/thstc6b59/) then rebooting. Never goes through.

Other Things Tried:

- Reset PRAM: When MBP restarts, becomes stuck at Apple logo screen, 50% progress bar

- Reset SMC: Stuck on Apple logo screen for a long time, and then screen turns off, but the laptop is still on. When I press Caps Lock, the indicator light turns on. Also, after some more time, I again hear "To use English as ...." even though the screen is off. Regardless of what I press, it does not wake the screen.

Note:

-The bottom of the laptop feels warm/hot (may be from battery), but I don't hear the disk moving.

I am desperately trying to save my mbp because I cannot get a new one for a few months. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!.Thank you so much!!!!

P.S.: I'm not too computer savvy, so please use everyday terms/non-tech terms when possible, thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:38 AM

16 replies

Feb 17, 2016 12:46 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Update!

I bought a Black Box SSD Enclosure, took my Samsung SSD out, and placed it in there. Connected it via USB to my MBP.

What happened:

- Same thing, blue indicator light blinks but then is still when it gets to the Apple logo screen; Start up is stuck there again. After 15-30 mins, I hear "Select English to....", but the still on Apple logo screen

- When I hold down the Option key right after pressing Power, the drives are now Orange, not Gray (I'm assuming this is just bc it's plugged in via USB now, but thought I mention it)

Using Old HDD:

- At first: I can boot to Safe Mode and if I restart from Safe Mode; If I shut down and press power, it becomes stuck on Apple Logo, however hen I fixed my kernel problem, I was able to start up my laptop normally

Went wrong again:

- I wanted to reinstall Yosemite on the Samsung SSD drive (plugged it in, erased the drive, downloaded Yosemite Installer); When the installer came on, I had the option selecting my HDD or the Samsung SSD (now called Untitled after erasing it); I selected the SSD - everything went fine, but when it came time to restart, it became stuck at the Apple Logo screen again

Now:

- Everything is unplugged, I am using my Old HDD but it now gets stuck on the Apple logo screen again and will only boot in Safe Mode (when I hold down shift); CMD+R does not work; Option shows me the 2 drives like before, but clicking either just leads to being stuck on the Apple logo screen with a 50% progress bar again.

Please help! This is the only laptop I have and I cannot afford a new one at the moment. Thank you so much!!!!

Feb 17, 2016 12:49 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Update!

I bought a Black Box SSD Enclosure, took my Samsung SSD out, and placed it in there. Connected it via USB to my MBP.

What happened:

- Same thing, blue indicator light blinks but then is still when it gets to the Apple logo screen; Start up is stuck there again. After 15-30 mins, I hear "Select English to....", but the still on Apple logo screen

- When I hold down the Option key right after pressing Power, the drives are now Orange, not Gray (I'm assuming this is just bc it's plugged in via USB now, but thought I mention it)

Using Old HDD:

- At first: I can boot to Safe Mode and if I restart from Safe Mode; If I shut down and press power, it becomes stuck on Apple Logo, however hen I fixed my kernel problem, I was able to start up my laptop normally

Went wrong again:

- I wanted to reinstall Yosemite on the Samsung SSD drive (plugged it in, erased the drive, downloaded Yosemite Installer); When the installer came on, I had the option selecting my HDD or the Samsung SSD (now called Untitled after erasing it); I selected the SSD - everything went fine, but when it came time to restart, it became stuck at the Apple Logo screen again

Now:

- Everything is unplugged, I am using my Old HDD but it now gets stuck on the Apple logo screen again and will only boot in Safe Mode (when I hold down shift); CMD+R does not work; Option shows me the 2 drives like before, but clicking either just leads to being stuck on the Apple logo screen with a 50% progress bar again.

Please help! This is the only laptop I have and I cannot afford a new one at the moment. Thank you so much!!!!

Feb 17, 2016 1:19 PM in response to NanJedi

Do you have your data backed up?

Do you have the original Snow Leopard installation disks?

If yes to both questions, you can use the original install disks, erase the HDD and reinstall Snow Leopard. That should put your MBP in the original condition when it was new. If it works properly, ie. starts up normally, run the Snow Leopard combo update:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

Test it again. If it starts correctly, you may then reinstall Yosemite. Test it again. If all is normal, selectively add your user data, testing as you do so.

Ciao.

Feb 17, 2016 1:24 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi

- I do have the data backed up (although I don't know if I want it anymore because of the apps I couldn't delete, etc.; I did also take out all my photos and files manually onto an portable HDD)

- I do not have the original Snow Leopard Disks anymore (But I did create a boot usb sick for Yosemite)

How would I go about wiping and reinstalling the OS X? I am concerned because I was holding CMD+R and Option both do not work. Wiping and reinstalling Yosemite was something I tried earlier and I am afraid that this will only leave me not being able to even use Safe Mode.

I really appreciate all the help!!!

Feb 17, 2016 1:59 PM in response to NanJedi

The problem with the USB Yosemite installer that I have, it does not have the provision of erasing the HDD. Since COMMAND + R does not work for you, that creates a problem of erasing the HDD and presumably eliminating the issue that is creating your difficulties.

Duplicate Snow Leopard install disks can be obtained from Apple Customer Support. Perhaps a simpler alternative is to have the Apple store genius bar do an erase and install for you. That would be FREE.

Ciao.

Feb 19, 2016 3:05 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi,

So, I found my Snow Leopard disks!

I'm setting aside (not in mbp) my old HDD with Yosemite just in case because at least I can use it in Safe Mode for right now.

I plugged in the Samsung SSD, installed Snow Leopard with the disk. Installation went through fine. However, the mbp is very slow/lagging, but works fine in Safe Mode.

I downloaded and installed the Combo Update from the Apple site to get to 10.6.8.

From there, I downloaded Yosemite and installed. The problem is after the install, the mbp needs to restart. This goes back to being stuck on the Apple logo screen during restart.

What should I do now?

Thank you!

Feb 19, 2016 4:58 PM in response to NanJedi

If all you have on the SSD is the OSX and no user or third party data, it should operate the same when it is booted normally as in safe mode. I do not know why and do not have any answer for you. At this point I can only advise I can offer is a trip to the Apple store genius bar for a FREE evaluation. Perhaps there is something on the hardware side that is causing this phenomenon.

Ciao.

Feb 22, 2016 9:55 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I fixed my mbp!

Fixing 50% Apple Logo Progress Problem:

- Installed Yosemite update

- went into energy saver and turned off all sleep and "put hard disk to sleep" ( I did this bc I noticed that whenever the start up didn't go through, it would seem like my laptop is going to sleep)

- restarted computer

- Reset the sleep options, but left the "put hard disk to sleep" box unchecked

Works!

I also fixed my slow/lagging problem by pulling out my Resources folder onto my desktop.

MBP works amazing now, super fast.

Upgrading to El Capitan now.

Thanks.

Stuck on Start Up Apple logo screen with 50% progress bar, tried everything. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.