Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

leave it plugged in?

I understand that for the current lithium batteries, you're not supposed to leave them charging for long periods of time. Does the internal charger of the MacBook Air take care of this internally (optimal charge schedule) and I can leave it plugged in all the time, or do I need to know not to leave it plugged in to power for weeks at a time when it's not being used (and discharged)?

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 4:45 AM

There is no harm in leaving it plugged in, however, it's a good idea to use it on battery at least a few times a week. You don't have to drain it completely, nor do you really want to if you can avoid it.

If you're not going to be using it at all for an extended time (weeks), it's wise to shut it down and unplug it. Though leaving it plugged in will not harm it, external factors must be considered, you never know when you may get hit by a power spike that could damage the charger or laptop.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2016 4:45 AM in response to Michael Levin

There is no harm in leaving it plugged in, however, it's a good idea to use it on battery at least a few times a week. You don't have to drain it completely, nor do you really want to if you can avoid it.

If you're not going to be using it at all for an extended time (weeks), it's wise to shut it down and unplug it. Though leaving it plugged in will not harm it, external factors must be considered, you never know when you may get hit by a power spike that could damage the charger or laptop.

leave it plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.